New Guy - Importing '93 1HD-T (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy,

I used this forum a lot with my US 2000 LC, and unfortunately it was totaled. My love for LCs is now solidified considering I put over 100,000 miles on it between the desserts of NM and Texas. I decided I wanted the diesel engine so I decided to import a 80 series from Japan. Right Drive in Canada is currently importing the car and I plan on upgrading the turbo and adding an intercooler to try to get around 225-250 reliable horsepower out of it without hurting the longevity of the engine. I will also be adding a front bumper and probably a tent on top with some solar panels and additional batteries down the road. I know I will need to change the BEBs and am looking for additional stuff that NEEDS or should get done first.

Here is my car if anyone is interested:

Totally beautiful rig!

Often the fueling has been screwed with and can create dangerously high EGTs. BEBs first, although if it's made it this long they've probably been done as I think problems typically occurred at <100k. After that you need to install gauges ASAP, especially pre-turbo EGT. I have really liked this one in my rig (the controls are god-awful but I pretty much never need to use them):
Automotive Digital Multi Gauges :: Boost + Oil & Water Temp + EGT - https://www.justraceparts.com.au/auto-gauges/digital-multi-gauge
When I first installed my gauge, my EGTs would hit 1600F no problem. I ran that way for....a year? Can't believe my truck is still running OK.

I upgraded my turbo without IC and it's made a HUGE difference alone. I'm sure the IC is great but a turbo alone is definitely phenomenal, that should be first. You don't have to do them at the same time for sure.

Tuning is quite difficult. Whoever invented these fuel pumps is an insane mechanical genius. You'll need to read all ~50 pages of the official thread, and you still won't really get it. If you can find someone who can tune this thing for you, that's huge. I ordered the AFR gauge for tuning when I put in the mutligauge but unfortunately I didn't realize it wouldn't go high enough for diesel. They do have one now that can. That can really help you tune.

Right hand drive is fun, takes a minute to get used to. You'll definitely get sick of everyone saying, "Hey you're on the wrong side!"......still need a good comeback for that. The most annoying thing is swapping between RHD & LHD cars is that the blinker/wipers are switched so I always end up turning on the wipers instead of the turn signal in both cars. I've looked into swapping LHD wiper/blinker controls but I'm not 100% they are a direct fit.

Welcome to the club!

I plan on upgrading the turbo and adding an intercooler to try to get around 225-250 reliable horsepower out of it without hurting the longevity of the engine

I dont believe this is really possible. The engines that are left in a state of lower output with normal maintenance last longest.

I put an R2D2 Cooler on my left hand seat. I had people taking pictures all the time. Talk about grins.

s-l1600.jpg

The car is a couple months out from Canada and already looks like it has after market exhaust. I was thinking of researching and buying the gauges, intercooler, turbo, injectors, and let it sit in the garage for my father to tinker with or we can work on together over my breaks, I still have a year and half left of college in NY. Not bringing the car up as the salt on the roads would rust the frame.

I had a snorkel on my last LC and was contemplating on doing that again.

Right hand drive is fun, takes a minute to get used to. You'll definitely get sick of everyone saying, "Hey you're on the wrong side!"......still need a good comeback for that. The most annoying thing is swapping between RHD & LHD cars is that the blinker/wipers are switched so I always end up turning on the wipers instead of the turn signal in both cars. I've looked into swapping LHD wiper/blinker controls but I'm not 100% they are a direct fit.
I also (somewhat) daily an HDJ81. I agree that the biggest problem is the turn signals and wipers, especially if it's not your only vehicle.
Parallel parking is easier!
And, when people tell me I'm on the wrong side, I reply "I am actually driving on the Right side!"

I, too want some sort of comical thing to put in my passenger seat. I was thinking blow up sex doll, but the teddy bear is pretty good too!

The car is a couple months out from Canada and already looks like it has after market exhaust. I was thinking of researching and buying the gauges, intercooler, turbo, injectors, and let it sit in the garage for my father to tinker with or we can work on together over my breaks, I still have a year and half left of college in NY. Not bringing the car up as the salt on the roads would rust the frame.

I had a snorkel on my last LC and was contemplating on doing that again.
Hey, OP!
Great looking cruiser you got coming your way!
Everyone else covered most of the basics. BEB's are not totally settled in my opinion. I have them, and am in no rush to put them in. I had a lengthy conversation with a Land Cruiser mechanic that has worked on a LOT of 1HDT's and he said the problems are fewer and farther between than the internet would lead you to believe. I'll do them eventually, just to look and see, but I'm not in a huge rush.

Regarding fueling and tuning, I would just look for smoke. If the truck is overfuelled (and consequently running dangerous EGT's), you'll have some not insignificant black soot at WOT. Mine barely smokes black at all, so I'm happy with that.

A Pre-turbo EGT is an excellent idea though. Always recommended once you start tuning and playing with the fuel.

A manual boost controller and gauge is an easy power adder.

Your truck is pretty similar to mine. It looks to be lifted, and your shocks may be shot. The aftermarket exhaust is pretty standard for Japanese trucks, but nothing special. Look into Legendex (what I bought), Beaudesert, or the other companies making good 3" SS systems out of AUS.

Gauges are a preference. I am partial to VDO, but that's because I come from German cars, where they are the standard aftermarket option. If you want to keep it "correct", perhaps Greddy or something similar?

Do gauges first. Then you know what isn't right, or what you can mess with. Then add a little more air with a manual boost controller, then look at upgraded turbo and / or intercooler options.

I would also encourage you to look into water / meth injection systems. They are a chemical intercooler that is WAY better than anything else you would do. Pros: Superior cooling, and less space taken up. Cons: If you run out of water / meth, your intercooler stopped working.

Have fun!

Don’t limit yourself when searching for aftermarket stuff by only looking for HDJ81 specifically , they were only 81s in Japan, look for HDJ80 as well and a lot more cool stuff will pop up

This came up in another thread, but something that is super important for these rigs if you're in the mountains at all: You need to install an air-to-air tranny cooler in the HDJs--stock on FZJ, but not HDJ for some super weird reason. This is such a cheap, easy, and important addition it should be on the top of the list for these rigs. I have mine in-line with my radiator (air-to-air first to reduce temps, then air-to-water in radiator to bring them back up in winter for proper operating temp for the tranny).

Just bought a G Turbo HD-G350, a PDI Front Mount Intercooler w/ tranny cooler. Today I am going to be doing research and buying the gauges. I am working with Right Drive in Canada. They purchased and imported the car and are getting it up to factory spec before I receive it. I hope the suspension is in good shape as I am driving it from Canada to DFW, TX. I am wondering how difficult it is to wire up the gauges and getting them working properly. I was hoping there was going to be a youtube video of some guy installing his, but I can't seem to find one.

I am wondering how difficult it is to wire up the gauges and getting them working properly. I was hoping there was going to be a youtube video of some guy installing his, but I can't seem to find one.

Installing gauges is pretty straightforward, which part are you concerned about? Wiring is simple as most brands use the same color wires for all the gauges they offer, and can just be daisy chained together. most of them don't need any sort of calibration.

shouldn't be too hard to find a coolant port for water temp, or for oil temp if that's what you like. I don't have a 1hd-t anymore so I can't remember where any un-used ports are.

Boost is simple, Just tee into the line coming off the crossover pipe.

EGT is the "tough" one, but can be done without removing the turbo if you want it pre-turbo. slowly drilling with the manifold with a shopvac while the engine is running is the most common go-to method. Post-turbo is easiest done by welding a bung to the down pipe.

I will be removing the factory turbo when I replace it with the GTurbo so I am not worried. I am just looking for an all inclusive kit with gauges and sensors for the Madman for the HDJ80/81.

I am also wondering how important a new exhaust is. I want a good amount of money set aside for the inevitable fixing and replacing of parts, and I am just not sure if a new exhaust is that critical. If I am being stupid let me know.

mine had a straight through style resonator and muffler, it sounded great and felt like it had great power, I think it was a japanese brand called "Suxon". I haven't gotten to drive one with factory exhaust, so i can't talk much about how it changed it. It felt good though! I had plans on going to a 3" setup but never got to it before the timing belt tensioner gave.

I personally think it would help a bit, and at the very least would lower EGT's which of course is always good on a diesel.

Went with EGT and Boost gauges from GlowShift. Looks extremely simple and straight forward when I looked at the instructions.

I am also wondering how important a new exhaust is. I want a good amount of money set aside for the inevitable fixing and replacing of parts, and I am just not sure if a new exhaust is that critical. If I am being stupid let me know.
Yes, a little bit stupid. If you are upgrading the turbo, an exhaust upgrade is pretty much mandatory. The stock exhaust will choke even the stock turbo if you run higher than stock boost. If you don't have money for it now, I would hold off on installing the new turbo until you have finances to also install a new exhaust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom