New FJ62 Trip Home (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If the guy has a stable full of 40’s & 60’s he should have a drawer full of service records & fluid changes to gauge your chance of success and necessary cargo of replacement parts. You’ll have a cool ride choice traveling up either coastline of Florida till you head West on I-10 at highway speeds. I’d spread my trip out over 3-4 days ( I doubt the old girl could withstand a marathon at her age) and check out possible MUD “Cruiser Mechanic” locations along your route. Just update your AAA MEMBERSHIP TO PREMIER STATUS to assure yourself maximum towing mileage. The term “bonding” may be the best of many descriptive adjectives to describe your trip home…go for it…I would! Send us your journal updates along the way.
I'll definitely post more pics when it gets here, and of the first drive.

It was on my list of needs when I would have got to the autoparts store.
Good thinking....nothing worse than being 400 miles into a 1200 mile trip when the passenger side wiper leaves you stranded on the side of the highway :rofl:

So I had a shipper call me this morning with really good price, cheaper than what I had planned for the trip, to pick it up at noon, and have it here Wednesday.
I really wanted to take that trip, but I guess I can always do it later in after I get it home and give it a full PM regimen.

Boo!!! <throws :popcorn: on floor>

Last edited:
As far comfort goes, I have found my 62 to be fine on long trips. as far as cruise con-troll feature goes can’t you just use the little idle knob?

My 62 is fine on long trips except the seats have no lumbar support at all. So my back will ache after 2 hours. Also at highway mph it is fairly easy to keep it at whatever speed without cruise control. Its not like it can go much faster than 80 so it tends to stay at 70 easily on the flat unless you go up a hill then your screwed. It will go down to 55 or lower.

As far comfort goes, I have found my 62 to be fine on long trips. as far as cruise con-troll feature goes can’t you just use the little idle knob?
I would think the idle knob would be dangerous? haven't even messed with it. It was meant for a pto.

I would think the idle knob would be dangerous? haven't even messed with it. It was meant for a pto.
I occasionally use my PTO throttle knob as janky cruise control.
It works but you can and will forget that the knob sticks your accelerator pedal in place.

Hasn’t really caused any danger for me, but it’s a little stressful when you put your clutch in and your rpms suddenly start rocketing toward the redline

I occasionally use my PTO throttle knob as janky cruise control.
It works but you can and will forget that the knob sticks your accelerator pedal in place.

Hasn’t really caused any danger for me, but it’s a little stressful when you put your clutch in and your rpms suddenly start rocketing toward the redline
Yes easy to bypass with a clutch. Not so easy with my fj62 and automatic. Dangerous

in my "Bonding" time I learned :

1. an FJ60 steering wheel feels like holding onto a piece of fence wire after an hour of driving
2 .the seats and seating position is very lacking if you are over 5' tall
3. The lack of cruise control is exhausting
4. Steering input on tight corners was horrendous (later massively improved with new and better tires).

The 62 has a fatter steering wheel but same seating issues. When you get home I bet you will be researching one of the various seat swap threads. Honestly for me an aftermarket steering wheel, a better seat, and cruise or a hand throttle for long runs at a constant speed really would make the world of difference
My only complaint in 18 years was a lack of legroom, but it's a big one. Stock 60 series legroom is pathetic! So, that problem was quickly remedied before much seat time elapsed. Otherwise, I found my 62 to be plenty comfortable on road trips. I drove it from Alaska to lower 48 and back with no issues.

Mine had an aftermarket steering wheel that I swapped out for an original.

Last edited:
Yes it can be dangerous, but works ok for short bits of time…you can’t get lazy about it.

I used to use the “62 cruise control” occasionally to rest my foot/leg in a different position for a couple minutes…and only when no other cars were around on straight flat road.

My only complaint in 18 years was a lack of legroom, but it's a big one. Stock 60 series legroom is pathetic! So, that problem was quickly remedied before much seat time elapsed. Otherwise, I found my 62 to be plenty comfortable on road trips. I drove it from Alaska to lower 48 and back with no issues.

Mine had an aftermarket steering wheel that I swapped out for an original.
The 62 steering wheel is a significantly nicer wheel to hold onto. I have a scheel Mann seat to install in mine that will much better support my 6’3” tall torso frame.

Lol, I have used the 62 “Cruise control” in residential areas because I was curious, not safe, don’t do it…… even on the highway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom