New Engine: Which Parts to Buy / Reuse? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I mean this is as interesting as eating marshmallow.

Cmon, Claudia.
Says the man with the actual parts lists and diagrams… ;) So, make it interesting…

Says the man with the actual parts lists and diagrams… ;) So, make it interesting…

I don’t need to do that anymore.

I’ve done it as an exercise many years ago when tons of stuff were still available. And many times on the phone starting in 2007 at American Toyota sitting at the back parts counter talking to weird Land Cruiser dudes who had nothing better to do.

@cruiserdan watched me do it… and an exercise like this was still interesting.

2022 on an engine that was last placed into a USDM vehicle… What, in 1997? Damn. I was in my first year of graduate school.

These guys are on to your practice of creating hypothetical scenarios with new threads about old topics. No one is going to do the leg work when you can just use the search box. Makes for an easy convo though. Very non-committal.
I'll cop to more Cruiser ambition that Cruiser cheddar, absolutely. Still working on that. (Who isn't?) :steer:

If you're going to own an old Land Cruiser part of the ownership should be doing as much of the mechanical work as you can plus knowing how to read parts diagrams so you navigate the parts purchase maze. Plenty of internet resources these days to find parts and prices.

Too often the second question following what part number is this, was where is the cheapest place to purchase? This has killed the free dissemination of information by parts pros.

If you're going to own an old Land Cruiser part of the ownership should be doing as much of the mechanical work as you can plus knowing how to read parts diagrams so you navigate the parts purchase maze. Plenty of internet resources these days to find parts and prices.
Check, half-check, and check. Half-check on the parts diagrams because more than once I've been unable to figure one out when I needed a part--and multiple dealer parts guys couldn't figure it out either. So there's that. And it might help if, you know, the actual order-able P/Ns were listed on easy-to-find, publicly-available diagrams so you didn't need a secret decoder ring to place an order. So there's that on top. :meh:

Notwithstanding the above, Beno and CDan have never failed to identify a part--I suspect because they've lived this so long they don't need no stinkin' parts diagrams no more. Pardon my grammar.

I mean this is as interesting as eating marshmallow.

Cmon, Claudia.
^^ ...

Several years after going through the process, it'd be somewhat difficult to remember what we needed, and what we did as part of the "while we're in there" thing. For instance, did we need a new engine harness - probably not. But a new harness allowed to get rid of the splices necessary to accommodate the S/C.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom