New CSC member Edgar (Garrissey) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Please welcome new member #466 Edgar Cleo Torres-Garcia (@Garrissey)

Edgar owns a 1983 TLC "Peaches".

Welcome to the club Edgar. Please tell us more about yourself and post up some pictures of the Land Cruiser.

I guess they'll let anyone in these days....

Cough, I mean, it's about time! :grinpimp:

The following was an excerpt from my online diary:

When I was a boy, my best friend and tormentor, Alvis, was a wizard on the magic carpet with wheels, known to the modern man, as a skateboard. Alvis was one of those kids that always had the daredevil look in his eyes, that would make any parent grab their little children by the shoulders and turn them away in the opposite direction. As such, my parents would let me tag along with my brother everywhere, and Alvis was sure as hell somewhere causing a ruckus.

The thing about Alvis, though, is that he is quite persuasive, without even having to directly tell you a single thing. It's as if, he makes whatever he does look so god damn good, that you just want to do it, and hope some of the Cool rubs off on you.

I had hardly seen Alvis for a decade, as we both went to opposite sides of the copper state. One day, for my graduation party from college, Alvis arrived in a 1996 Toyota Land Cruiser, which to me looked like some funky, plastic, soccer mom car on steroids. I had no idea what these machines were, as my Mexican heritage usually looks to the aesthetics of the 80's Monte Carlo, or the dependability of a Chevrolet Silverado. I can hardly remember taking that thing around Pinal County with a handful of drunken friends, and even more vaguely, my friend Brady shooting a shotgun out of the back on this moving vehicle. But that even that was not enough to convince me of the Land Cruiser.

One day, early last year, I went out to see Alvis, as he was going camping with some friends in Joshua National Forest. Only this time, it was in a white 1984 FJ60. It was like looking at a dinosaur, with that Mighty 2F engine breathing as if a dragon was in slumber. The simple components made it a very charming vehicle, with minimal creature comforts, aside from the mediocre stereo, blasting Black Joe Lewis and the HoneyBears. I had a Triumph Bonneville, but never before this did I ever drive standard. Driving this mammoth of a truck, with its underpowered motor and lack of steering control, was all the persuasion I needed.

A few months later, I purchased Peaches, a blue 1983 FJ60 with smoke coming out of the tailpipe that would rival Cheech and Chong. Alvis was upfront about the painful damage the truck would do to my wallet, but I didn't care, I was chasing that cool ass feeling that Alvis demonstrated for me while doing a Frontside Kickflip over dirt gaps from my youth.

I bought the truck, and have since put so much money into this truck, that it nearly rivals my insurmountable student debt. But screw it, 60 don't care, and neither do I.
August 2017
IMG_0950.JPG
March 2018
7184A53F-A069-4289-936D-B646374D0AEA.jpeg

nice write up Edgar. good to see more 60 love in the club

Thanks, @murf

So in a nutshell, I would compare myself to a really crummy IPA: I am an acquired taste that people will have a high probability of not liking. But that's OK with me!
IMG_0905.JPG
@Cruddz and I spent the better part of three weekends wrenching on my 60 last summer during monsoon season. We even had the bright idea of laying a tarp on the ground to prevent water from getting on our back while installing the oil pan, which acted as a water collector and foiled our efforts to stay dry!

At any rate, the build is well documented in the 60's forum if anyone cares to venture down that rabbithole. I dont know a thing about wheeling, camping or land cruisers, but I am learning. My 60 has had the following completed entirely by @Cruddz with me typically holding the flash light or fetching tools:
Head rebuild
carb rebuild
radiator flushed
re-ringed pistons
gas tank cleaned
new water pump
new fan clutch
new t-stat gasket
new plugs, wires, cap n rotor
desmogged
new master cylinder
tranfer case rebuild!
new suspension rubbers
cork oil pan
heater hose
new fuel pump and filter
complete center console, OEM wheels, dash
new tyres
rear and front main seal
new belts
new (used) battery and tie-down

Gee, I am sure I am missing several items that Alvis has done, however it has slipped me. It would have been easier, and likely more cost-effective with a running 80 series, but it's better to do everything ourselves, and ensure that it is done right. Although I am a complete re tard, Alvis knows what he's doing. Maybe I will crumble down and purchase a newer series with the addition of a new baby, but I'll cross that road when I get there.

I want to give a big shout out to all the people who have been nice enough to allow me to tag along on trips or just talked shop with me.

Time to wipe down that paint with boiled linseed oil to preserve the patina. Nice start to your story, a year later I might add.

TO tell the story of Peaches, I have to give a ton of credit to Alvis. Growing up things were often critiqued by Elliot and Mosquito, the older dudes in the group. Alvis and I were very critical on style, and things had to be a certain way, the Eloy Style. Skateboarding, Punk Rock, a bunch of pimples and alcohol made for an interesting childhood. Alvis worked with me at my dad's truck washing business, and immediately surpassed me and became my supervisor. Being white didn't hurt, either..

My brother Jr. taught Alvis how to play guitar, and all these years later Alvis can play a mean axe
IMG_0420.jpg

This was the day I was introduced to the Toyota Land Cruiser, in 2014.
IMG_0362.JPG
This is a picture of both our rides a couple weeks ago in Tucson

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0362.JPG

Last edited:
Alvis should bring the acoustic to the next camp out.

This is a family forum, enough bromance already.

Bracket fabrication by @Garrissey and a slight miscalculation when using the wrong tool for the job.
IMG_1310.JPG

OOOOH, That Smarts!

Welcome Edgar!

ALLLLVVVISSSSS!

Right on Edgar!

@Saddletramp, Please dont be jealous of our bromance, it is what it is.

By the way, as I mentioned earlier, camping and stuff is all new to me, so I am open to suggestions on what gear is best for camping. Items like grills, coolers and other essentials necessary to survive out on the trail. I feel like a bum relying on others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom