New ARB "BASE Rack" Roof Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got my low profile (the original version) rack from SLEE and installed it over the weekend. A gentleman named Amory helped me a lot with the order. (Thanks SLEE & Amory!)

I like how it’s really low profile and allows me to park the car in the garage. I was not sure if the wind deflector and light bar could be installed together, so I didn’t order the wind deflector. Big mistake. The wind noise is not too much at lower speeds, but it does get worse as you speed up without the wind deflector. Especially around 50mph to 65mph it gets really bad I’m going to order the wind deflector. It is compatible with the light bar.

Does anyone know if I’ll be able to install a Gobi ladder with ARB Base rack? I am told that the ladder is compatible with my Kaymar rear bumper.

0BF188EE-A309-41BA-90EF-8D728ABF7340.jpeg

Last edited:
How is the wind noise on the full long rack you have? I have the 61” version and I do not really hear it.

View attachment 2793982
I got the big version; the wind noise is not too much at lower speeds, but it does get worse as you speed up without the wind deflector. Especially around 50mph to 65mmph it gets really bad, but then it kinda goes away! I am ordering the wind deflector today.

Last edited:
I got my low profile (the original version) rack from SLEE and installed it over the weekend. A gentleman named Amory helped me a lot with the order. (Thanks SLEE & Amory!)

I like how it’s really low profile and allows me to park the car in the garage. I was not sure if the wind deflector and light bar could be installed together, so I didn’t order the wind deflector. Big mistake. The wind noise is not too much at lower speeds, but it does get worse as you speed up without the wind deflector. Especially around 50mph to 65mph it gets really bad I’m going to order the wind deflector. It is compatible with the light bar.

Does anyone know if I’ll be able to install a Gobi ladder with ARB Base rack? I am told that the ladder is compatible with my Kaymar rear bumper.

View attachment 2821174
That looks really nice. How long did it take you to install it? Could you measure the height at the Centerline of roof at the rear of rack? Curious what the height is compared to the modified mounting kit photos SLEE posted.

PXL_20210902_152636055.jpg

PXL_20210902_152306118.jpg

13C9E87D-5E4C-457A-95D6-3ACE636263C6.jpeg
That looks really nice. How long did it take you to install it? Could you measure the height at the Centerline of roof at the rear of rack? Curious what the height is compared to the modified mounting kit photos SLEE posted.

View attachment 2821256

View attachment 2821257
The top of the rack is 3" 3/8 from the center of the roof at the very end of the rack towards the rear of the car. If my math is correct that’s 6/8" shorter than the one posted by SLEE.

DDEFF21E-5099-4276-A328-32524B5937C5.jpeg

The installation was very easy. I didn’t time the whole process, but I’d say taking off the factory rack and installing this tool about 4 hours total.

I followed the following steps:
1. Removed factory roof rack. Be VERY careful when removing the bolts. There are two bolts in each location where the mount goes. Do NOT remove one bolt and then proceed to the other one. Loosen them both first and remove them then. There’s this plate under the roof with the nuts welded to it that can turn and cause major headache for you. You’ll have to remove the headliner to fix it. (The 4 hours that I mentioned did not include the time it took me to do this)

2. Install the mounting brackets on the roof.

3. Measure the distance between the holes in mounts at the back and front of the roof. Mine were 125mm (front) and 153mm (back).

4. Install the rails on the rack and align them with the measurements that you take. The rails will be closer towards the rear of the rack (see the photo attached).

5. Put the rack on the roof and bolt to the mounts. You need two people to do this I used the cardboard in which the rack came in. Laid the rack against the side of the car, then lifted it with the cardboard and put it on the roof. This prevented the rack from scratching the body. I aligned the rack with the mounts on the driver side, pushed the cardboard out of the way, then proceeded to do the same thing on the passenger side.

In this photo the rack is upside down, you can see the rails being attached and visibly not parallel to the rack since the distance between the mounting braces on the roof is smaller in the rear of the car.
13C9E87D-5E4C-457A-95D6-3ACE636263C6.jpeg

The top of the rack is 3" 3/8 from the center of the roof at the very end of the rack towards the rear of the car. If my math is correct that’s 6/8" shorter than the one posted by SLEE.

View attachment 2821272

The installation was very easy. I didn’t time the whole process, but I’d say taking off the factory rack and installing this tool about 4 hours total.

I followed the following steps:
1. Removed factory roof rack. Be VERY careful when removing the bolts. There are two bolts in each location where the mount goes. Do NOT remove one bolt and then proceed to the other one. Loosen them both first and remove them then. There’s this plate under the roof with the nuts welded to it that can turn and cause major headache for you. You’ll have to remove the headliner to fix it. (The 4 hours that I mentioned did not include the time it took me to do this)

2. Install the mounting brackets on the roof.

3. Measure the distance between the holes in mounts at the back and front of the roof. Mine were 125mm (front) and 153mm (back).

4. Install the rails on the rack and align them with the measurements that you take. The rails will be closer towards the rear of the rack (see the photo attached).

5. Put the rack on the roof and bolt to the mounts. You need two people to do this I used the cardboard in which the rack came in. Laid the rack against the side of the car, then lifted it with the cardboard and put it on the roof. This prevented the rack from scratching the body. I aligned the rack with the mounts on the driver side, pushed the cardboard out of the way, then proceeded to do the same thing on the passenger side.

In this photo the rack is upside down, you can see the rails being attached and visibly not parallel to the rack since the distance between the mounting braces on the roof is smaller in the rear of the car.
View attachment 2821279o
Wow! Thanks for all of the photos and details.

Purchased this rack in full size to replace 2 year old Frontrunner that had corrosion on about every nut and bolt as well as powder coating coming off on roof rail mount portion. Love the welded deck, definitely a much nicer looking product than what I had and loved not having to assemble the thing. Went on pretty easy with help of my 17 year old but glad I taped up the edges of the roof on the LC as we did have to take off and widen a couple, five millimeters and reinstall. Awkward and a little heavy to get up on roof. My only complaint: I ordered the 3/4 rail for the rack and experienced some issues with the clamp cover assembly. Clamp covers are aluminum and the included bolts have thread lock applied. Very easy to cross thread and not think you are cross threading resulting in a couple of destroyed clamp covers. Purchased from OK4WD and am awaiting their reaching out to ARB for replacements to purchase/warranty whatever… but in my haste. I ordered another rail kit only to run into same issues after going to hardware and purchasing bolts without thread lock. Even pre-started the bolts into the covers prior to installation. Even with purchase number 2, some of these covers had issues, like too much paint in the threaded area or you just can’t seem to even start a bolt. Awning mount piece of cake, rails fit great and look killer compared to Frontrunner’s offering but there has to be some QC issues resolved with those covers!

Purchased this rack in full size to replace 2 year old Frontrunner that had corrosion on about every nut and bolt as well as powder coating coming off on roof rail mount portion. Love the welded deck, definitely a much nicer looking product than what I had and loved not having to assemble the thing. Went on pretty easy with help of my 17 year old but glad I taped up the edges of the roof on the LC as we did have to take off and widen a couple, five millimeters and reinstall. Awkward and a little heavy to get up on roof. My only complaint: I ordered the 3/4 rail for the rack and experienced some issues with the clamp cover assembly. Clamp covers are aluminum and the included bolts have thread lock applied. Very easy to cross thread and not think you are cross threading resulting in a couple of destroyed clamp covers. Purchased from OK4WD and am awaiting their reaching out to ARB for replacements to purchase/warranty whatever… but in my haste. I ordered another rail kit only to run into same issues after going to hardware and purchasing bolts without thread lock. Even pre-started the bolts into the covers prior to installation. Even with purchase number 2, some of these covers had issues, like too much paint in the threaded area or you just can’t seem to even start a bolt. Awning mount piece of cake, rails fit great and look killer compared to Frontrunner’s offering but there has to be some QC issues resolved with those covers!
Thanks for sharing your installation observations. What is the added height of the rail at the rear from top of rack? I'm considering that option when I order my 51x84" BASERACK but want to be sure I can get it in the garage.
Thanks for the info and enjoy the rack.

What is the Width of the bars? Wondering if I can put my Thule cargo containers up there…was thinking id use it has my water proof storage. And leave half for other stuff.

What is the Width of the bars? Wondering if I can put my Thule cargo containers up there…was thinking id use it has my water proof storage. And leave half for other stuff.

I finally found a SiriusXM alternative antenna adapter. Now I have a specific antenna for just the radio. Reception much better.

851E9064-26CE-4777-A808-73370ADCE36E.png

Sorry, been away from the leisure side of computer use this week. Pics of finished rack attached. I did mount one of my Pelican cases with the front runner base mounts to it easily with the slot rail adapters.

View attachment 2843562

View attachment 2843563

View attachment 2843564
Great looking Rig with the Baserack with rails installed. Do you have any trouble putting it into your garage with the rail system? Standard garage door height is only 7'-0" (84"). I need to look into this before ordering the 1/4 rack rail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom