Builds New Alaskan FJ40 intro thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just saw this thread. WOW..........North Pole AK. Unbelievable place to live I bet. I can't even imagine it.

Only 4750 miles from me. I live in Southwest Florida my whole life and always dream about a trip to Alaska.

I'm slowly working on my 1976 green FJ40 I bought in 1978.

Slow process due to all the extreme weather I get down here. LOL
Welcome to the thread!

Extreme humidity probably. 🤣

Share some pics of your 1976 FJ40. The more pics in this thread the better👌🏼

What compressor and HVLP gun are you using for paint? One day I will get to this point and am curious what the DIY crowd is using.

What compressor and HVLP gun are you using for paint? One day I will get to this point and am curious what the DIY crowd is using.
So I'm borrowing shop space over the weekends to do my larger painting in. The shop is set up with an industrial 120 gallon NAPA brand air compressor. Very nice and actually surprisingly quiet too.
When I've painted in my garage I've used a combination of smaller compressors. Basically three pancake compressors daisy chained to give me good CFM at 25-30 PSI.

Ended up buying a larger Husky 30 gallon compressor that will work instead of daisy chaining smaller ones, but haven't used it yet since I've gotten access to the shop space.

My gun is a $60 Kobalt gun I bought 2nd hand from a guy locally and you can get them at Lowe's.

Welcome to the thread!

Extreme humidity probably. 🤣

Share some pics of your 1976 FJ40. The more pics in this thread the better👌🏼

Some old pics.

Crossing a creek up in Georgia long ago.

20180611_130222.jpg

20180611_125402 (1).jpg

Playing in the mud.

20180611_125821.jpg

Last edited:
Cleaned all the old over spray from the rear curved glass windows. Also cleaned the seals and used some silicone spray to help soften them and lubricate them. Should be ready fo reinstallation once the rear side panels are painted. Exciting!

Should be painting the side panels next weekend if all goes well.

Question for the group: what color were the rear heat shields painted from the factory? Mine seem to be original and probably have never been removed or repainted and they were in primer only. One of the POs sprayed an asphalt bedliner on the entire underside of the body, but under that it seemed that the underside of the entire body was only in primer.
Anybody have an unmolested FJ40 and can tell me if the underside of the body was painted in color? And are the heat shields also in body color?

Thanks!

PXL_20240418_012912485.jpg

PXL_20240418_165009126.jpg

PXL_20240418_011309087.jpg

PXL_20240418_012144351.jpg

Another question:

My FJ40 came with a 2nd set of rear curved glass, but they are noticeably smaller than what I pulled out of my hard top side panels. Are these smaller curved windows not Toyota? Or do they go on a different year or model of hard top?

Any help is appreciated👍🏼

PXL_20240418_011309087.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom