New addition to the herd (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.projektenterprises.com
Wife and I picked up an 85 FJ60 yesterday and now it's time to hit it hard and get it going. Will get pics up later today, it's still dark and super cold outside.

List of things to attack first:
  1. Clear room in garage to wrench on this thing
  2. Fix wipers (High speed works, low and int don't)
  3. Track down issues with horn
  4. Fix thermostat, currently motor never gets "warm" enough to use the heater, was a cold ride home:eek:
  5. Fix rear defroster

And much more but those are the first orders of business...just wish I had a heated garage.

Thanks, it's been a long time since I've worked on a Cruiser, first FJ60. Had 2 FJ40's (still have one) and my ex-wife's dad had an FJ80 but it's been forever.

The horns I'm guessing are just a bad ground somewhere. I'm betting the wipers are likely a relay so I'm going to check those today since they'll be the quickest to start checking.

Thermostat is either failed-open, wrong temp or just not sealed properly, that's an easy fix in any of those options.

Hopefully I can get it fixed and ready for inspection/emissions by week's end

Horn Heat

The horn is probably the horn pin behind steering wheel. Just fixed mine. Plenty of info on here with pics and how to.

Thermostat could be in pieces. seen that a couple of times on here. If not then its probably missing the rubber O ring that fits on top of the tstat. I replaced mine and still had no heat cause advance did'nt list it so I thought I just needed the Tstat and gasket. Had to buy the oring and go back in and install it. Holds great temp now and heat is great!

Good luck and welcome!!!

Thanks, it's been a long time since I've worked on a Cruiser, first FJ60. Had 2 FJ40's (still have one) and my ex-wife's dad had an FJ80 but it's been forever.

The horns I'm guessing are just a bad ground somewhere. I'm betting the wipers are likely a relay so I'm going to check those today since they'll be the quickest to start checking.

Thermostat is either failed-open, wrong temp or just not sealed properly, that's an easy fix in any of those options.

Hopefully I can get it fixed and ready for inspection/emissions by week's end

The horn is probably the horn pin behind steering wheel. Just fixed mine. Plenty of info on here with pics and how to.

Thermostat could be in pieces. seen that a couple of times on here. If not then its probably missing the rubber O ring that fits on top of the tstat. I replaced mine and still had no heat cause advance did'nt list it so I thought I just needed the Tstat and gasket. Had to buy the oring and go back in and install it. Holds great temp now and heat is great!

Good luck and welcome!!!

Thanks for the info, had talked with the person I bought it from, sounded like he had checked that but I'll check again since that looked to be a pretty easy fix and is needed to pass safety.

Tstat I am guessing o ring is a good possibility since it does kinda warm and cool but just not much

Thermostat.

I have two 60's the first one the thermostat was upsidedown the second one didnt even have one.
easy to check just pull the themostat housing should be really obvious.
-Johnny.

Ok, horn is definitly that pin, when I had something (a key held between) touching both and pressed a button it made a small beep. Wiper I'm still unsure on, I can hear the relay clicking so I doubt that's it, guessing it has to do with the wiper motor itself. Next order of business will be tstat but I need to go warm up first

overall rig picture
IMG_20110102_101132.jpg

Ok, will post pics later, opened up the thermostat housing and that little rubber gasket was definitely missing, going to spend the extra to replace the thermostat anyway since I've already got it open and have to run out for gasket maker I figure i might as well. One thing I did notice was there seemed to be something metallic looking in small quantities floating in the coolant, i might have to keep an eye on that, more pics later

I am so insanely jealous.

Im getting frustrated finding a candidate for my first cruiser and you have a herd!

Good find that is a nice looking rig.

capdaddy

Pic 1: Changing out busted marker lenses yesterday with one's I picked up from Cruiser Outfitters*, found this piece of work :eek:

Pic 2: Erm is the coolant supposed to be metallic looking?? :confused:

Pic 3: Fuel leak on side of carb :bang:

*Note: Cruiser Outfitters is awesome, I love working with Kurt and buy from him whenever I can!:bounce::bounce2:
IMG_20110104_114041.jpg
IMG_20110105_094909.jpg
IMG_20110105_112241.jpg

I would start with the switch on the wipers, get a wiring diagram and check for voltage at the pins of each position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom