new 4:1 low range from AA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wonder how much modification of the t case it takes to get a 4:1 set in there?!
The Marks 3.05:1 set takes a bit of hogging, but not much.

Great that there's another option out there!

So what's the opinion of you guys running the ~3:1 Marks gear sets? Would a 4:1 gear set be too low most of the time, or alternatively is the 3:1 set low enough with 35" tires?

So what's the opinion of you guys running the ~3:1 Marks gear sets? Would a 4:1 gear set be too low most of the time, or alternatively is the 3:1 set low enough with 35" tires?

That is highly dependent on the terrain you are in.

I found the stock gears to be pretty good for most daily 4wheeling, but too high for technical stuff.

I find the Mark's 3.05s to be really good for most work off-road, haven't really felt the need for much more - but diesels make all their torque at low RPM, unlike gas-pots.

The Mark's gears thin the case out quite a bit, so I think the AA gears are going to probably required filling in a slot cut into the casing - but let's see what Georg has to say once he's installed them.

Noise will be the other factor...

~John

Is there such a thing as too much reduction? Well if you had seen that guy at the sports truck show 'n shine several years ago with 7 transmissions in his ranger, then yes, but I think 4:1 would just plain rock.

Of course my only real low range experience is going from an M22 to a SM465 in my 40, and that was huge. But even lower options would be nice. And since a doubler on a 40 is pretty damn difficult, if not impossible, 4:1 would be the next best thing.

Still have to fit that split case into the 40 frame, that's already a tight fit. Those gears would look pretty in my 62 though. I am going to start working on getting a split case into my 40, keeping an eye out for manual sticks to replace the vacuum actuator, that thing is way to bulbous.

For my 35 tire set-up I would perfer the 4:1 ratio, which would provide a crawl ratio of about 80:1. In tough situations the Marks 3.05 at 60:1 is still not slow (low) enough for serious descents/climbs, such as at Moab.

My 45 has a split case :)

And Lisa's (brads old 40) has a split case.

Yup, later model 45's have split cases, is your manual or vacuum shift?

Brad scrounged the bits required to re & re the front nose cone to turn the vacuum shift to sticks. 70 series have split cases with manual linkage, and later BJ60 had manual linkage as well. Just not easy to get a hold of in Canada

That is highly dependent on the terrain you are in.

I found the stock gears to be pretty good for most daily 4wheeling, but too high for technical stuff.

I find the Mark's 3.05s to be really good for most work off-road, haven't really felt the need for much more - but diesels make all their torque at low RPM, unlike gas-pots.

The Mark's gears thin the case out quite a bit, so I think the AA gears are going to probably required filling in a slot cut into the casing - but let's see what Georg has to say once he's installed them.

Noise will be the other factor...

~John

Very true John as far as intended use goes.

I was thinking of the local guys that had installed the 3:1 gears behind their diesels for up to moderate trails. If you were 30% lower geared, would you find yourself stopping to shift between high/low at every obstacle with a 4:1 set? With 4:1 your speed in each gear would be half what it is with a stock t.case, and diesels don't like to be revved.

I'm weighing long term options for my FJ40. One of those options is diesel conversion. I don't want to turn this 40 into a truck that is trailered, and I don't want fuel to be the deciding factor of which truck stays in the driveway. Noise would be a concern if it's really excessive.

My BJ60 (h55/1.99/4.11) does fine for its intended use (camping and light trails), but not so great for rocks and ledges, where I've had the engine re-start in reverse rotation a few times. My FJ40 gearing is set up functionally similar (H41/2.31/4.11), and in my opinion does better with the 2F, so I don't think I'd be happy with stock gearing if I swap in a 3B. I was considering one day bringing in an orion, but switching to a split case with lower gears could be an option. This gear set is priced about equal to an orion. No room to move the axle back for a doubler.

Anyways, just dreaming at this point, no shortage of spendy projects for a while.

Yup, later model 45's have split cases, is your manual or vacuum shift?

Brad scrounged the bits required to re & re the front nose cone to turn the vacuum shift to sticks. 70 series have split cases with manual linkage, and later BJ60 had manual linkage as well. Just not easy to get a hold of in Canada

Manual. I helped Brad put his in. I recall asking him why he was swapping cases, and his answer was because someone told him it couldn't be done.

Gee, that doesn't sound like Brad at all :D

I miss that guy :frown:

I've been happy with the 3:05 set. It was a bit of a pain in ACT 2006, but not a show stopper.

On any long stretch between river crossings (and there were a few) I was maxed out in 5th gear, low range...and not keeping up. The fix was as simple as stopping, putting into high range, the moving forward. But that got old after the 5th or 6th time. So I decided to leave it in low range. If I had a 4:1 I would have been switching.

gb

:hmm:, in the light of morning...was I just complaining about a 3:05 reduction in the t-case? :doh:

gb

Nah, the way I read that was Mark W likes to keep up a fast pace on smoother stretches of the trail, kind of like following Mike I guess.

3.05 to 1 is OK .
4 to 1 would be just about right'

Last edited:
Let's wait and get some units out there to prove out its toughness and reliability.

If there's interest, I'll be bringing some of these gear sets in.

I'm waiting to hear back from Georg at Valley Highbrids about his experience with the install and running the gears.

These are Japanese gear sets, from a OEM gear cutter.

~John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom