Never underestimate the importance of a ground (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just became aware of this thread.

I solved my starter problems by running a ground from the battery to the engine block. It was grounding through the alternator wire, until it melted. Used to be real hard to start. Adding the ground made a world of difference.

Bump... because if you haven’t had ground problems yet, you liked will soon... or just haven’t realized you already do.

I haven’t had a problem with grounds since the last time I had problems with grounds.

Ok, that’s to be read like the sign over a bar in Wyoming - “Free Beer Tomorrow”. 😜

Use star washers with your ground fasteners.

External toothed LWs.

Last edited:
They are not toyota original but they work. McMaster-Carr

I wasn't meaning the washers...I've used them often enough. You need to know where all the grounds are to fix. The chassis ground on the inside of the RH frame rail isn't exactly something you'll stumble across unless you've spent an excessive amount of time under a 40... and if it wasn't there, you'd likely never know that it should be. :D

Happy New Year.

:cheers: to leaving 2020 far behind and staying safe and well grounded in 2021.

Last edited:
Grounds are funny things.
As stated earlier, electricity takes the path of least resistance.
Sometimes when a ground to one component goes bad it will find a new path through something else.
Had a 57 Ford that the horn would honk when opening the door.
Turned out to be a bad ground to dome light.
I guess it could be used as a burglar alarm.
Had clutch cables breaking on a Fiat.
On the third cable I realized the ground strap from body to engine was gone and the new path was going through the cable heating it and making it weak.
Have had several bad grounds on the FJ 40 over the years.
The best one was on the same Fiat as the cable.
We was going on a road trip and I decided to lower the steering column.
Took of from Ark. and when we got into Kansas I made the comment that we were getting some good gas mileage as the fuel gauge had hardly moved.
Not much further down the road and the car stopped running.
I knew I had gas because the gauge showed over three quarters full.
After some head scratching and cranking the engine I decided I had better tur off the head lights to save the battery.
Hit the off switch and the needle on the gas gauge plummeted to the empty mark.
Turned out when I when I bolted the steering column back up I neglected one lonely wire that was supposed to be secured there so the gauge and the head light were using the same ground path.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom