need to work on the A/C need advise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi all

i have to replace the compressor and dryer this weekend so i can get the system recharged.

i've never worked on an AC system before, any caveats? it's already evacuated due to the leaking compressor so odds of freezing my hands off are slim.

what kind of oil do i need to put into the compressor anyway? (i'll check the manual when i get home)

any tips or tricks are appreciated

they make a special automotive A/C refrigant oil....thats what you need for the A/C system. I think generally the compressors come "pre-oiled" best to check into that. Make sure you have the right wrenches and use the refregiant oil on any of the "o" rings upon re-assembly, making sure not to pinch the o rings or cross thread the fittings. You'll need to have a vaccum pulled on the system prior to having it re-charged. THe A/C shop should do this by default to remove the moisture and to check for leaks.

no....just the right size. A lot of people use various pliers and odd-ball sized stuff.

Your on the right track.....replace the dryer & compressor. Are you also replacing the clutch with the compressor? Good time since your there. Do you have a vacumn pump to pull a vacumn on the system after replaing all these parts?

Replace all the o-rings while you in there....good auto parts stores sell
AC o-ring kits....just replace each o-ring you see while replacing parts. Make sure to lube each one with some PAG oil (AC oil) before install. Also install the correct amount of oil into the compressor before putting the lines back on.

Any other questions post up while working....GOOD LUCK!:grinpimp:

Just take your time & be patient..

the mechanic will be doing the acutal vacuum down and refill on monday

i'm leaving the clutch alone for now, there is no idndication it's bad and it's not really that hard to get at later.

i'll swing by my favorite parts store and look for some O rings

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom