need to shorten synthetic rope (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

iron_giant

SILVER Star
Threads
I need a total rope length of about 20-25 ft. of 1/4" synthetic winch rope for a superwinch S4000. It is used to open and close the rear door of an enclosed 38ft aluminum trailer. As the trailer is used for food processing, I don't want to use the steel cable as small steel particles shred from the cables when the winch is used. The typical rope lengths are 50' in 1/4'. What is the proper way to cut a 50' rope in half and keep the winch end from fraying? Is taping the end and feeding it through the drum enough?

thanks for the help,

David

I need a total rope length of about 20-25 ft. of 1/4" synthetic winch rope for a superwinch S4000. It is used to open and close the rear door of an enclosed 38ft aluminum trailer. As the trailer is used for food processing, I don't want to use the steel cable as small steel particles shred from the cables when the winch is used. The typical rope lengths are 50' in 1/4'. What is the proper way to cut a 50' rope in half and keep the winch end from fraying? Is taping the end and feeding it through the drum enough?

thanks for the help,

David

Eletrical tape wrapped tightly is usually sufficient.

If you want to get fancy, you can backsplice the end....

Go right to step 3

http://www.samsonrope.com/site_files/12-Strand_AmSteel-Blue_Whoopie_Sling_Splice_2008.pdf

Its essentially a fixed eye but you pull it into itself rather than leave a loop. Ive got step by step photos if youre interested.

We have used white masking tape in the past but electrical tape is the best way to go.

-Alex

Tape? Ah! :)

I'm not smart enough to figure out the complexities of splicing, but whenever I want to finish nicely a regular "plastic" rope, I use a much thinner string, wrap it around the end a bunch of time with the "U loop" trick, pull it tight, just burn the ends of both string and main rope with a torch and that's it. Looks professional and never had one unravel after years. (No idea what would happen if you put a torch to a synth winch rope, though, but that could be interesting.)

Have even done that with fine metal wire on wire rope for the added shiney effect... :D

And you can even impregnate it with epoxy glue for the ultimate in staying powa... :)

Oh, and if I'm lazy I may just put some shrink tubing on if I have the right diameter. That looks cool too...

Great ideas! Thank you all for the help. I like the idea of using shrink tube- especially a double wall with an adhesive.

Great ideas! Thank you all for the help. I like the idea of using shrink tube- especially a double wall with an adhesive.

I would still melt the end (if that's possible with winch line synth, no idea...) to prevent it from unravelling.

Hi there, I know this is an old thread but I also have a superwinch s4000 and am looking for some advice. Like iron giant I would to replace the steel rope with a synthetic rope. Is this easily done and wondered if its safe to do so since superwinch never supplied the s4000 with a synthetic rope.
Thanks

Hi there, I know this is an old thread but I also have a superwinch s4000 and am looking for some advice. Like iron giant I would to replace the steel rope with a synthetic rope. Is this easily done and wondered if its safe to do so since superwinch never supplied the s4000 with a synthetic rope.
Thanks

Short answer = easy. Pull off old. Check drum for burs and fix any. Put on an aluminum hawse fair lead if old has any burs. Put on synthetic line.

Long answer = some winches 10k and greater can potentially damage the drum with synthetic line. Many winches have been converted from steel line to synthetic, like my Warn M8000. Lots more can be discussed but that is the basic jist of things.

You can PM me for more info (or to buy a synthetic line.) :)

Short answer = easy. Pull off old. Check drum for burs and fix any. Put on an aluminum hawse fair lead if old has any burs. Put on synthetic line.

Long answer = some winches 10k and greater can potentially damage the drum with synthetic line. Many winches have been converted from steel line to synthetic, like my Warn M8000. Lots more can be discussed but that is the basic jist of things.

You can PM me for more info (or to buy a synthetic line.) :)

Thanks for the reply, since you say some synthetic ropes can damage the drum do you think this would apply to my 4000lb winch?
I did see something about synthetic ropes mostly use a steel drum, I think mine is cast iron. Should this be ok for a winch of this size?
Thanks

Most of the time it is an issue with the big boy 10k and up winches, if it is even a problem at all. I have customers running 7/16" syn line on 15k winches with hard pulls and no problem - but that is not to say they might not have problems later. I wouldn't worry on a 4k winch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom