Need to replace manual fuel valve for primary/aux tank (1970 fj40) suggestions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to replace the hand valve that manually allows me to convert from primary tank to aux and visa versa.
Any suggestions where I might find a replacement valve or possibly a different approach?

Thanks!
Greg

The plus on the electric valve is that you can have the gas gauge switch tanks also.

I'm just going to have a separate switch to switch the Guage... The drawback is you could run out of gas while the guage is telling you it's full...:meh: But I'd rather risk that than running out of gas somewhere because the valve won't switch to the other tank. The added security feature of the manual valve I'm running is that it has two off positions, and two on positions... And only I know which are which. If someone takes it for an unauthorized spin, they'll make it a block before the run out of gas and it stalls. It'll take them a bit to figure out why, and then they need to find the valve... If they do, they then need to figure out which position is on... Meanwhile, I'll be coming for them with the cops following soon behind me. In contrast, with an electric one, they'd be flicking the switch on the dash to the other tank, and going on their way.:steer:

I have had manual valves and ran out of gas a time or two without having a gauge on the aux tank. I install an electric switch on my 74 but still no gauge. The sending unit from the aux tank and the stick tank have to be the same resistance. The only sending unit that you can get that has the same resistance is one from Centroid and use a pollack valve with return ports. This is what i am in the process of doing with Coolermans help and the former owner of Downey offroad suggested the centroid valve. Read this thread https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/auxillery-tank-fj40-installation-problem.753126/

Cripes, it's just so easy to use an electric switching valve with a "double pull-double throw" switch that switches tanks AND sending units at the same time. This is especially important when using an electric fuel pump because electric pumps are pushers, not suckers. If you have a manual switching valve placed somewhere within the drivers reach, the electric fuel pump has to be mounted down stream from that (engine side of switching valve). That means your electric fuel pump has to suck gas up to the drivers seat area before it can push gas up to the engine, your electric pump doesn't want to do that. Best to mount an electric switching valve midway between both tanks, then go directly into your electric fuel pump, which is also mounted midway between both tanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom