Need starter help - (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tucker74

Threads
I went to start my '93 FZJ80 tonight and got quite a bit more than I expected - the starter stuck, engaged. The truck was starting and sputtering and cranking away - and the key wouldn't turn back to the off position. I popped the hood and was trying to pull the battery cable when it finally stopped. Reluctantly I tried again and it fired right up as normal - anyone seen anything like this. Is it the starter? Some relay? Need HELP - it's ok on a Sunday night in the driveway...but what about tomorrow!

Tucker

Replace the starter contacts and probably the plunger or a complete starter right away. Do not wait, serious electrical system damage will result if the starter hangs up and won't release. You were lucky it let go.

Tucker,
We've had several long topics on the starter contacts. Replacing them is an easy and cheap job if you don't have any other problems. It sounds like you should be OK. There are p/n's in installation instructions here and on the Slee offroad site.

Let us know if you have any questions and how it comes out.
-B-

Wait, wait, wait guys. He said the "key wouldn't turn back to the off position". That's an entirely different issue than the starter contacts in the starter motor.

It sounds like your ignition switch is simply dirty or has some lint in it. I'd see what a locksmith would charge to simply clean it in place, or try doing it yourself before going after the starter itself. May be time to do that as well, but fix the problem itself first.

DougM

Good catch Doug!

I interpreted his post that the starter wouldn't shut off when the key was turned back to the "off position". But that wasn't what he said.

Check the ignition switch and the key as Doug said.
-B-

Thanks everyone for all the help - I've got it narrowed down to the contacts/plunger (now I just have to figure out if it's a 1.4/2.0/2.2V starter (damn '93)). The problem with the ignition was me shifting the tranny into "N" thinking it might kill the starter :doh:). I'm just lucky the plunger let go ... or else I'd be looking for a starter and alternator. The starter had been just "clicking" on the first start every once in a while, and then starting fine - so I think this is definitely the problem. Now for the wrenching....can anyone post the order of assembly of the starter contacts from the FSM - I've only got the Haynes.

Tucker

Tucker,

See my response to the other current starter problem thread. Get it replaced or contacts changed out NOW. I fried both the starter and alternator after experiencing exactly the same symptoms as you save the ignition key issue. Good Luck!

Tucker - Given your not into the mechanical thing, here's another approach to getting this resolved quickly. Since you have the best year for starter motor designs, it would be good to replace the starter contacts in the starter you have (as per -B-) as opposed to buying a rebuilt.

The starter contacts are part of the starter assembly. If you take it to most dealers or independent shops they will replace the entire unit with a rebuilt one. Problem is that you will likely end up with a different year of starter that's not quite as good. So I recommend finding a good auto-electrical shop that specializes in starters and alternators, ect... They are around.

Ask them to pull the starter and replace the contacts and plunger using Toyota OEM parts (not sure if there are other options). Be specific and tell them not to give you a rebuilt. If you find the right shop, you'll save money and end up with a better unit.

Spend a little time letting your fingers doing the walking and phone and ask a few auto-electrical shops if they will do this. But don't wait as others have said. I found a good shop near me and he's great. Very resonable and good quality.

Riley

Hey now - be nice, of course I'm into the "mechanical thing", I've been talking behind the tread w/ c'dan and I've got it all figured out. I just need to make sure of the starter (1.4/2.0/2.2kW) tonight (already have the P/N's). I was wondering if anyone could post (or email) the page out of the FSM that shows the contact assembly order (as per Slee's help page).

Tucker

Opps :whoops:

sorry about that Tucker. Sounds like your: "All over this like a dirty shirt". More so than I, given I haven't changed my contacts either yet.
:slap:

R

Riley,
Can't be any worse than I !!! I have the contacts and new plunger sitting in the Garage :doh:

Yup, I know what you mean!! Maybe a trip to Grandma's House :rolleyes:

ED96FZJ80 - well my contacts and plunger are sitting in the garage as well (in addition to my OME kit). I'm just waiting to send the wife on a road trip so I can spend some quality time in the shop. :)

R

I just did this about a month ago, but can't really remember if I used my FSM.

I do know that if you carefully keep all the components (washers, sheilds, etc.) in their correct order when you take the starter apart, it's easy to know what order the new parts go in.

I recall doing the contacts and plunger on my previous cruiser, (FJ60) and it was a pretty straight forward job. Just have to get around to it :D

Tucker:
I don't agree with Riley re: unavailability of 93 OEM starters. OEM remanufactured (not just rebuilt) units are available thru many outlets. I checked with Denso directly and they told me they remanufacture the starters themselves. Cost is about $200 with 12 month warranty for 1.4KW P/N 280-0168 for 93. 2.0KW has P/N 280-0169 for 94-97 model.

teutonik,
What was their price on a reman 2.2kw starter?
-B-

Pulled the starter last night - mine has the 2.2kW starter, fortunately I can just replace the contacts and plunger for $40 in parts. It's a PITA to get to - but fairly easy if you were just going to swap out starters teutonik. Might want to think about it since you're going to have to fork out the cash for new stuff.

The 2.2 kw starter is not available through Toyota. It has been superceeded by the 2.0 kw unit.

FWIW, my unofficial stats show the 2.2kw starters averaging 150k miles on the orginal contacts and the 2.0kw starters are averaging 100k miles.
-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom