Need some torque specs for '97, pretty please? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
Hi,
any kind soul with a '97 FSM that could help out until I get my own FSM? I would like to check the fluids in the transfer case and diffs this weekend.

Could somebody tell me what the torques are (in ft-lbs) for the filler plugs for both diffs and the trans case?
(And also btw, tell me where the filler plug is on the trans case and how to find it since I have no idea... :p)

I mention the filler plugs on the assumption that this is where I'd stick something in to see if it's nice or ugly in there...

Thanks so much
Eric

I can find the following in my 97 manual:

27 ft-lbs for the transfercase (both plugs)
39 ft-lbs for front diff (again both plugs)
39 ft-lbs for rear diff (also both plugs)

Also be careful of the front fill plug. It strips easily since it is so soft and can be on very tight. Be sure to only use a point socket or a 6 sided wrench on it.

weird, isn't that quite a bit less than the oil drain plug (probably around 75 or so I would guess?)

where do I find these plugs on the trans case if it's not completely obvious (to me)?

thanks much
Eric

just follow the driveshaft back to a triangular plate that is held on by three bolts. Take the bolts and the plat off. You will see the drain plug, same size as the diff plugs. On the DS of the Trsnf case you will see the filler plug. I recommend searching for the post regarding the drill powered Craftsman pump to fill all your oils, it works really good and is very cheap to buy about 10 bucks for everything

Eric,

If you're tightening your oil pan plug to 75 ft-lbs, I am pretty sure you're way high. I've never bothered to look for an actual number in the FSM, but I use about 25.

HTH,

DougM

Before you torque the oil pan plug to 75 lbft, let me check to see if I have a new pan in stock. :p

After you have installed your new pan, torque the plug to 18lbft. ;)

I'm feelin sorta stupid since I was not able to find the torque specs for the plugs that you all found. Can someone please share a page number? I'm also starting to wonder if I indeed have stumbled over people even more anal than I consider myself to be; I have never looked up the torque or set the torque on the wrench for any of the fill or drain plugs including the oil pan! I always do with any other sort of repair procedure but not with plugs or screws. Are you all seriously doing this? I've always approximated this with the wrist. Also, anyone ever looked closely at the cover of the 97 FSM? The Cruiser on the cover seems to have the 15" wheels that were sold with the 4Runners?

EG184 for oil pan plug torque.

TR37 for transfer plugs.

SA110 for diff plugs.

(1997 manual cited)

The main attraction for using a torque wrench for me is I don't have to "guees" when it feels "right". I just twist away til it clicks :D

OK, OK, Dan and Doug (nice ring to it!) I was just guessing on the 75, must be confused with something else - as usual :eek:
Not to worry, I would have checked in the owner's manual (that I have) before doing that one.
Buuuut, I do appreciate all the heads-up from you good folks, that might very well have saved the day had I not been as an&l as I am already... and please feel free to let me know any time when I profer utmost imbecillities - well at least as far as technical stuff, not my editorial comments of course... :D

Oh, Tcruiser, yes that is something I always check, sure don't want to strip one of those babies...

Otis, thanks for the directions

All, wonder why these fill plugs on the diffs are always so rinky dink.... Maybe so that they rather than the diff strip...?

thanks all

tomorrow I check the pumpkins
already cleaned up both knuckes (no, no the outside so I can see them...), I want to make sure there is no Birf soup coming out...

E

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=13033;start=msg120478#msg120478 date=1079157490]

The main attraction for using a torque wrench for me is I don't have to "guees" when it feels "right". I just twist away til it clicks :D
[/quote]

Wow, I'm humbled; I've finally found people who make me think I can finally quit that damn twelve step therapy program for OCD!!! I'm so relieved, you mean this is normal??? YeeeHaaaw!!! :D

Phil,

Agreed,

But they replace snapped bolts more often, no? :flipoff2: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom