Need some advice on which lift kit to choose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I also have to purchase other accessories before I do the lift kit such as a JW Offroad rear spare tire carrier as I plan to get a spare wheel and tire from the same setup I mentioned in my previous post as well a Lexus tow hitch kit that comes with trailer away control.

Last edited:
I also have to purchase other accessories before I do the lift kit such as a JW rear spare tire carrier as I plan to get a spare wheel and tire from the same setup I mentioned in my previous post as well a Lexus tow hitch kit that comes with trailer away control.
Yep, it'll be important to have the same tire as a spare, if not at least the same diameter.
Plus it just plain looks better when the spare hanging out the back is the same rim and tire.

I wonder if there is any way to modify under the vehicle to fit a oversize wheel/tire combo. I have looked underneath and it looks like you could go and inch or two larger and still make it fit with some trimming.

I wonder if there is any way to modify under the vehicle to fit a oversize wheel/tire combo. I have looked underneath and it looks like you could go and inch or two larger and still make it fit with some trimming.
There's been a lot of discussion on the "largest" tire that will fit, and I believe it's just about a 32" with the air let out, stuffed up in there. But I'm not sure. You'll have to do some searches on that.
But for sure you will not be stuffing a 33" + size tire up in there!

There's been a lot of discussion on the "largest" tire that will fit, and I believe it's just about a 32" with the air let out, stuffed up in there. But I'm not sure. You'll have to do some searches on that.
But for sure you will not be stuffing a 33" + size tire up in there!

Yet another reason to not go so big on the tire. I will say a huge advantage of having a swing out rear carrier is the ease of rotating wheels and able to remove if getting a rear flat in the deep sand.

Reactions: r2m
From a purely off-road capability perspective, a lifted GX with 32's is very capable, while still retaining near-factory braking, fuel economy, handling, acceleration, and spare tire fitment. 33's certainly look great, but I have yet to encounter a single place my lifted GX won't go on 32's. Since the primary use of your GX is going to be a daily driver/road trip vehicle without heavy off-roading, you really aren't going to see much benefit from 33's outside of them looking awesome. 32's will be a better choice in 99% of your driving situations. If you ever flip the purpose of your GX to a weekend/off-road vehicle, then go with the 33's.

Last edited:
Personally, I prefer the looks of a 33” tire even if that means sacrificing a bit of stock drivability. :)

For anyone with a larger spare tire mounted on the rear swing gate, did you remove the stock spare tire as well?
Yep, stock spare gone! Unless I'm looking to help some other poor stock GX owner with a flat who doesn't have a spare. Like that'll ever happen! :rofl:
Actually considered putting an extra fuel tank or air tank in it's place.

Personally, I prefer the looks of a 33” tire even if that means sacrificing a bit of stock drivability. :)

For anyone with a larger spare tire mounted on the rear swing gate, did you remove the stock spare tire as well?
I would remove it. You can't use it as a spare with 33s so it's only purpose in the OEM tub would be as a poorly performing skid plate for the rear bumper.

Reactions: r2m
Actually considered putting an extra fuel tank or air tank in it's place.
That’s awesome, I would put an air compressor in so that I can air up/down with ease! :)
I would remove it. You can't use it as a spare with 33s so it's only purpose in the OEM tub would be as a poorly performing skid plate for the rear bumper.
Yeah that’s what I’m considering to do and put an air compressor in it’s place.

Has anyone put an air compressor in the place of the stock spare tire? If so, how much did it cost and was it a complicated install process?

That’s awesome, I would put an air compressor in so that I can air up/down with ease! :)
I'm not sure a compressor would work too well down there with all the road grime, water and elements. Under the hood doesn't get that much gunk, or inside would be a better location. If you remove your third row seats, that too could be an option!

I actually recently had 285/70/17 put on my truck, using adj Dobinson MRR, ~3” lift springs, and SPC UCAs. Here are my thoughts…

Wanted less lift but those spring options had a longer lead time and I had plans. On top of my spring choice, I had a 2010 Premium with airbags and 200k miles. Many years of pulling dad duty. Anyway, for me, that meant even MORE lift than intended. Because my old springs were tired and the coil conversion adds 3/8-1/2” to the rear beyond whatever spring you’re using.

I had stock size Yoko Geolandars on the truck on stock chrome rims previously. Combined weight was 68#. Now I have KO2 285/70/17 on SCS Ray10 8.5” wheels, 74#. And I’m not carrying the spare for daily driving.

Initially was told BMC wasn’t necessary. I’ve been driving it a couple months and had to do some extra trimming and heat gun remolding, but no issues with the body mounts. Made a trip to Big Bend for my first fun trip last week and discovered after harder driving that the tires do kiss the mounts ever so slightly. Never heard it but it’s obviously rubbed so I’ll have to chop them for sure.

I need to replace lower control arms soon, and I’m contemplating ordering the shorter springs at that time and doing the BMC of course. But other than that my only regret is not doing it sooner. I’m completely happy with the highway manners. In hindsight my adj dampers were shot and the springs were tired because incredibly my ride is superior after doing this. My in laws have a new bone stock GX so I know what stock feels like. I’m not as cush as theirs, but it’s dramatically nicer than what I had.

My mileage hit seems to be worse in town than on the highway. I went from 13.5 average (zero highway kid drop offs and short commute to downtown) in town to 11.5 (not adj for diameter, so maybe ~12?) My round trip to Big Bend averaged true ~18 (using GPS miles and driving GPS indicated 700mph) both ways on highway. I previously got 17-21 on highway depending on wind. That’s my only real highway miles so far, but I’m happy with that.

Mainly do what you want and enjoy it. I have a few things to tweak but for the most part I’ve found the compromises everyone talks about to be overrated.

6F6D4A80-9078-4FDA-9221-FACE6DC18B89.jpeg

I recently added a 3" lift with 285x70x17 KO2s to my 22 GX460, here is my experience and general thoughts.

Details:
  • Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Struts & Shocks.
  • Old Man Emu Coil Springs
  • SPC upper control arms
  • KDSS spacer to correct 1 1/4" lean
  • BFG KO2 285x70x17 tires
  • Alphaequipt 17" wheels with +10 offset

Pros:
  • Looks better than stock
  • Rides better than stock
  • Reasonably quiet considering the aggressive tread (definitely quieter than my 4Runner with KO2s)
Cons:
  • Spare tire won't fit
    • Even though installer told me it would prior to doing the work
  • Gas mileage went from and average of 17 mpg to 15
  • Some trimming--while very minimal--was required
    • The trimming was limited to the inside portion of the lower side mouldings (as shown the the photo)
Summary
  • Aside from the spare tire debacle, I'm happy with how it looks and rides. With that being said, if I knew then what I know now I'd go with 275x70x17 tires and less lift. The vehicle would be a little more practical as my daily driver and probably would not have required any trimming (which I was trying to avoid on a new truck).

IMG_9276.JPG

IMG_9278.JPG

IMG_9281.JPG

I recently added a 3" lift with 285x70x17 KO2s to my 22 GX460, here is my experience and general thoughts.

Details:
  • Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Struts & Shocks.
  • Old Man Emu Coil Springs
  • SPC upper control arms
  • KDSS spacer to correct 1 1/4" lean
  • BFG KO2 285x70x17 tires
  • Alphaequipt 17" wheels with +10 offset

Pros:
  • Looks better than stock
  • Rides better than stock
  • Reasonably quiet considering the aggressive tread (definitely quieter than my 4Runner with KO2s)
Cons:
  • Spare tire won't fit
    • Even though installer told me it would prior to doing the work
  • Gas mileage went from and average of 17 mpg to 15
  • Some trimming--while very minimal--was required
    • The trimming was limited to the inside portion of the lower side mouldings (as shown the the photo)
Summary
  • Aside from the spare tire debacle, I'm happy with how it looks and rides. With that being said, if I knew then what I know now I'd go with 275x70x17 tires and less lift. The vehicle would be a little more practical as my daily driver and probably would not have required any trimming (which I was trying to avoid on a new truck).

View attachment 3041980

View attachment 3041981

View attachment 3041982
First off, looks really good!
A couple of things you may want to do that'll help:
  1. Get yourself a heat gun: Amazon product ASIN B078S5QMFG and see where you're getting the rubbing. Warm up the area with the heat gun and get a piece of wood or something (so you don't burn your hands) to push back the area that rubs. Just don't let your wife dry her hair with it!! o_O
  2. Do a body mount chop (BMC). Considering this is your first post, not sure how much you've gone through the GX forum, but a BMC is very common practice and will keep your tires from rubbing in lock-go-lock especially if you should ever decide upon larger tires or even the size you have at full compression at lock.
Albeit, this is not knowing what your intentions are for your GX, e.g.: fire roads, difficult trails, mall cruiser, soccer mom rig, rock crawling, etc.

Rides better than stock

Do you mean off road or on highway or both? I only ask because my experience with lifts is the cornering and ride on highway suffer considerably. I had to do major modifications to my rig after my 3" lift to make the on road manners bearable. I ended up with huge Hellwig sway bars front and rear and rear helper springs just to get my body roll near an acceptable level. With tires I made the mistake of having the E rated Falcon Wild Peaks until they were worn. After swapping over to Michelin Defenders the ride is smooth as ever with 32f/36r.

Do you mean off road or on highway or both? I only ask because my experience with lifts is the cornering and ride on highway suffer considerably. I had to do major modifications to my rig after my 3" lift to make the on road manners bearable. I ended up with huge Hellwig sway bars front and rear and rear helper springs just to get my body roll near an acceptable level. With tires I made the mistake of having the E rated Falcon Wild Peaks until they were worn. After swapping over to Michelin Defenders the ride is smooth as ever with 32f/36r.
I'm sure you probably already know, but a lot depends upon how heavy your rig is loaded out.
Either too heavy or too light with the wrong springs and it'll handle horrible.
My rig, as heavy as it is, rides awesome with my suspension setup! It floats very nicely on long highways and I can do the spirited mountain twisties until I hit my wife's "fear threshold" without too much swing'n and sway'n around curves.

First off, looks really good!
A couple of things you may want to do that'll help:
  1. Get yourself a heat gun: Amazon product ASIN B078S5QMFG and see where you're getting the rubbing. Warm up the area with the heat gun and get a piece of wood or something (so you don't burn your hands) to push back the area that rubs. Just don't let your wife dry her hair with it!! o_O
  2. Do a body mount chop (BMC). Considering this is your first post, not sure how much you've gone through the GX forum, but a BMC is very common practice and will keep your tires from rubbing in lock-go-lock especially if you should ever decide upon larger tires or even the size you have at full compression at lock.
Albeit, this is not knowing what your intentions are for your GX, e.g.: fire roads, difficult trails, mall cruiser, soccer mom rig, rock crawling, etc.

Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it.

I was referring to the on road performance, both side roads and highway. It's a more planted, solid feel--closer to the way my 4Runner drove. The steering also feels firmer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom