need quick help, getting tranny off of t/case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.rockcrawler
i'm trying to get the tranny apart from the t/case. i have removed all the necessary bolts and nut. they are about 1/2" apart, but i can't pry them apart any more. is there something with the gears that may be holding them together, or am i just not strong enough?

If you haven't removed the through bolts hidden under a alum cover in the xfer, then it would be very difficult to pry apart. The should pull apart decently, if you have to muscle it, you've missed something. Just keep a keen eye on the gears in the xfer that are positioned by the tranny output shaft. The will be loose once seperated. Make sure they don't fall on the ground, and keep track of how its positioned in relation to shims and such. Good luck.

i took all the bolts out under the cover with the 6 bolts. i can spin the tranny around on the shaft, so i'm pretty sure there aren't any bolts left. are you saying all the gears will be loose inside the t/case when the shaft comes out? will the shaft between the tranny and t/case stay with the tranny or the t/case?

here's what i'm looking at. what kind of tool do i hook onto what shaft? sorry to sound dumb. but i guess i am.

Output shaft (lower lefthand corner picture) needs to be pushed into the transfer case. You do that with a puller/tool that spans two opposite bolt holes on the transfer case, the holes that surround the output shaft. You bolt the puller into those two opposite holes and across the output shaft. The puller then has a 3rd hole over the end of the shaft with a screw/bolt in it that you screw down to push the shaft into the case.

do you know what size bolts they are? autozone here doesn't have such a tool. could i make my own, or where would i get one? on a saturday afternoon?

I don't know the thread size off hand, but you have the bolts that go in there, you would just have to figure out the right length and go to the hardware store or auto store to match the thread.

I just recently did this when re-sealing everything on my trans and t-case.. I used a standard 4" 2 arm puller from Advanced auto parts (a 6" would work better, but they were out of stock).. This trick was reccomended by one of the other IH8MUD members. Take 2 of the bolts from the t-case end cover you removed and screw them in (opposite sides to each other in line across the outputshaft) until there is a slight space left between the bolt head and the case. Remove the end nut on the output shaft, then install the puller. Place the ends of the puller underneath the lip of the bolts you screwed in, the crank away! The bearing will pull out with the case as it seperates. As mentioned above keep track of the gears.. Reinstalling, the bearing will have to be pressed back on, I drove it on with a deep socket until I could crank it on the rest of the way with the nut. Good luck!

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom