Need Opinion - 2010 GX460 Premium (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Happens. Buy enough cars and you learn not to ignore bad ads. I’m a car guy and have owned 50 plus cars in 15 years time. I don’t watch football, I don’t drink (socially), I don’t gamble and I don’t have many hobbies...except cars. I tend to buy for no other reason then a good deal. Then I fix, drive and enjoy and sale...either to family, friends or for a profit.

Many of my best deals come from poorly advertised cars in good, but less than “picture friendly” condition. I’ve bought great $100 cars that friends still drive 4-5 years later....and s***ty $30k cars which I sale for a loss 6 months later. Turns out, people selling junk tend to spend more time on presenting the car as valuable. People with hidden gems tend to just post it up half hazardously.

Not 100% science, but worth reminding folks of.

Well...I came to terms with the dealership and I'm heading there tomorrow to pick her up. Quite the turn of events after the bad PPI on the truck in Georgia.

Here is where we ended up at:

• Purchase Price Including all fees: $16,140 + tax
  • Dealer will do the following before I pick it up
    • Normal dealership inspection & associated items (They literally just got it as a trade)
    • Replace front brake pads
    • Replace rear brake pads
    • Turn/replace front rotors
    • Turn/replace rear rotors
    • New Battery
    • 0w-20 Synthetic Oil Change
    • Detail of truck

Summary: 3 days ago I was going to pay $14,800 for a 155k mile 2010 GX460 Premium. I'm now paying $1,340 more for a truck with 50k less miles.

#winning

Good luck with the new ride...........sounds like ya did good !

pics or it didn't happen.........

Just got the call from the PPI shop. They know their stuff! In short - no go on the truck. That's why we have PPI's done though right?!?!

• Front & rear bumpers had been removed and showed visible sings of damage not listed on Carfax
  • Lead from transmission pan
  • Transfer case seal leak
  • Noise from rear diff
  • Oil filter leak
  • Rear door weather stripping needs replaced
  • Low coolant & possible leak
  • Engine bay was steam cleaned, so impossible to tell about coolant valley leak, timing cover leak, etc...
All this on a 1-owner vehicle that was serviced at the same dealer it was purchased from.

Which independent shop did this ppi? It would be nice to know another Indy shop in the Atlanta area.

Which independent shop did this ppi? It would be nice to know another Indy shop in the Atlanta area.

Fastlane Automotive in Smyrna. Easily the most professional, knowledgeable, and genuine shop I’ve ever dealt with.

Good luck with the new ride...........sounds like ya did good !

pics or it didn't happen.........

Drove her home last night. Was only about 2 hours away. The detail job done by dealership was bad and one of the seat back pockets was torn, but I can live with that considering everything is 100% mechanically sound.

Super happy and already have mod parts on order!

4DEC2150-EF48-4C4C-984F-D35BC5B585C8.jpeg

F5D1C131-49DD-4104-A192-8CFAE5AC40DB.jpeg

1E4F2781-6262-4450-9D83-23835E70EBB1.jpeg

I'd take the opportunity to upgrade to a winch bumper if you like any of the current offerings out there. Otherwise have it repainted.

Any thoughts on the front bumper? Options as I see it:

1. Local shop repaint
2. Replace with a new one (Do these come pre-painted?)
3. Aftermarket
4. Other?

new real bumper is $1300 +

plus winch if you desire.....

I'm looking at a real bumper...even as my wife's DD

One deer strike will pay for it........

Any thoughts on the front bumper? Options as I see it:

1. Local shop repaint
2. Replace with a new one (Do these come pre-painted?)
3. Aftermarket
4. Other?

Bumpers usually don’t come preprinted, too large and delicate.

In my opinion, unless you’re looking for a metal off-road bumper, you’re best just finding a body shop you like and have them properly prep and repaint the existing bumper. Fitment looks good on it, so unless there’s cracking or other unseen issues, then it doesn’t much matter if it’s aftermarket or original factory, the paint job is what’s crap.

I’ve had two similar plastic bumpers repainted and I paid $80-120 or so each time, for a quality prep and paint job from a buddy, so I’d presume this means it’s a $250-400 job most quality places. Bumpers are apparently tricky to color match, something about paint for flexible plastics versus metal and shadows and such.

I just got a quote for a plastic bumper on a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Each quote for a newly repainted front bumper was around $800. According to everyone that it is a pain to color match and the special additive to make the paint flex?? is expensive and very expensive to dispose of. I thought it was crap until I heard the 3rd quote for about the same amount. So I just bought a new winch front bumper with the insurance money.

I just got a quote for a plastic bumper on a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Each quote for a newly repainted front bumper was around $800. According to everyone that it is a pain to color match and the special additive to make the paint flex?? is expensive and very expensive to dispose of. I thought it was crap until I heard the 3rd quote for about the same amount. So I just bought a new winch front bumper with the insurance money.

you'll be money ahead......

Just got the call from the PPI shop. They know their stuff! In short - no go on the truck. That's why we have PPI's done though right?!?!

• Front & rear bumpers had been removed and showed visible sings of damage not listed on Carfax
  • Lead from transmission pan
  • Transfer case seal leak
  • Noise from rear diff
  • Oil filter leak
  • Rear door weather stripping needs replaced
  • Low coolant & possible leak
  • Engine bay was steam cleaned, so impossible to tell about coolant valley leak, timing cover leak, etc...
All this on a 1-owner vehicle that was serviced at the same dealer it was purchased from.

Do you mind sharing which shop you used for the PPI? I have a 2014 GX Im very interested in, but want a professional to give it a once over before pulling the trigger. I’m also located in the Houston Area. Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom