Need Opinion - 2010 GX460 Premium (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So here is the info on the new 2010 GX460 Premium I am looking at:
  • 2010 GX460 Premium - $16,500 before negotitation
  • 106k miles
  • 2 owners (Southern States)
  • Clean Carfax with no accidents
  • All maintenance done @ Lexus dealer on time
  • Transmission fluid, front/rear diff, & transfer case never changed
  • Secondary air pump, air injection pump, airbag recalls done
  • Needs
    • New Tires (Currently 2 Bridgestone & 2 offbrand)
    • Front & Rear Brakes
    • New fluids (I'll do myself)
    • Repainted front bumper due to paint peeling (Verified this is just peeling, not dents or evidence of any accidents)
It's getting a Pre-purchase inspection done at an independent shop now, so pending results of that...

Thoughts on the bumper and above?

View attachment 2258829
Not necessarily a reason to walk away, but I’d bet money that the peeling paint is not factory. A lot of minor run ins/damage don’t make it to car fax.

So here is the info on the new 2010 GX460 Premium I am looking at:
  • 2010 GX460 Premium - $16,500 before negotitation
  • 106k miles
  • 2 owners (Southern States)
  • Clean Carfax with no accidents
  • All maintenance done @ Lexus dealer on time
  • Transmission fluid, front/rear diff, & transfer case never changed
  • Secondary air pump, air injection pump, airbag recalls done
  • Needs
    • New Tires (Currently 2 Bridgestone & 2 offbrand)
    • Front & Rear Brakes
    • New fluids (I'll do myself)
    • Repainted front bumper due to paint peeling (Verified this is just peeling, not dents or evidence of any accidents)
It's getting a Pre-purchase inspection done at an independent shop now, so pending results of that...

Thoughts on the bumper and above?

View attachment 2258829

so whats your budget ?????

this car will be $800 + for new tires.....

Synthetic fluids.....front diff is a PIA to change

Another $150 for brake pads......maybe rotors too

Bumper ???

Trannie fluid.....dealer......$295

Just for scchidts & giggles.....search Car Max in your area (to save ship fee)

so whats your budget ?????

this car will be $800 + for new tires.....

Synthetic fluids.....front diff is a PIA to change

Another $150 for brake pads......maybe rotors too

Bumper ???

Trannie fluid.....dealer......$295

Just for scchidts & giggles.....search Car Max in your area (to save ship fee)

I actually like working on my vehicles and baseline them at purchase (tires, fluids), so honestly, finding a good condition rig that "needs" stuff done gives me more bargaining power.

• Tires will be $900 from Costco (Easy to get rotated there)
  • Fluids I'll do myself
  • Tranny drain/refill 3x myself
  • Brakes/rotors I'll either do myself or take a local mechanic (They're not bad right now, just to baseline things though)
  • The bumper doesn't concern me too much if it really is just flaking. Don't care about the looks as I could always repaint, vinyl wrap, or aftermarket.
I did look at Carmax. They are $4-5K higher for a similar vehicle, which I'd likely want to baseline anyways...

It looks like the owners park by braille!
For me not an issue as long as airbags have not been deployed. I'd wind up installing a steel off road bumper anyways.

Last edited:
Not necessarily a reason to walk away, but I’d bet money that the peeling paint is not factory. A lot of minor run ins/damage don’t make it to car fax.

This. Having several friends that work at dealerships, the peeling paint is probably due to a fender bender that lead to a new bumper (often aftermarket) and a cheap/quick respray for resale. Lots of times they get trade-ins with some cracks/chips/hurt bumpers and they do the absolute bare minimum to get the car looking good for a sale. Often that's a poor prepped aftermarket bumper or even as simple as a mere airbrushing of the bumper. Both can lead to a bumper like this.

Mention the concern to the PPI shop and see if they can verify fenders, core support, etc are all original or have been replaced. Fender benders are very common and not something I'd let deter me from buying an otherwise good vehicle. Now, one/two new fenders, a new radiator core support and such...well that's indicative of a much harder rear-ending crash and concern for deeper investigation.

Just got the report back from the PPI place. (I love good independent mechanics who are happy to take the time to talk to you on the phone.) I had them do the PPI before the dealership even did their intake inspection, so they could see original condition.

Summary: Looks good and independent mechanic said he'd buy it.

Noteable details:

• TPMS Light flashing (I assume it needs new sensors. Can anyone comment?)
  • Tires are better than I thought 9/32 front & 6/32 rear
  • Needs transfer case, front diff, rear diff fluids changed due to age (I'd do anyways)
  • Battery is weak and will need replaced soon
  • Needs Front & Rear Brakes
  • No leaks, other than small leak on front pinon seal of front differential (Possible to DIY or does this need to be dealer done?)
  • Water pump was already replaced at 85K
Any other comments before I make an offer?

Not bad for the price point.

A flashing TPMS light usually means an error in the system (no communication, low battery, etc) versus a low tire, should be a code associated with it but should just be a simple issue/sensor replacement. Good negotiation item, either to have fixed or discounted. Lights on the dash are always easy negotiation items to get fixed as almost any buyer is going to be bothered by it.

Pinion seal is about the only thing that's annoying, IMO. Not sure how DIYable that is on these.

Did you make sure all the little stuff works:

- Rain sensor for wipers
- Power folding mirrors
- all heated seats
- reverse camera
- etc

Not bad for the price point.

A flashing TPMS light usually means an error in the system (no communication, low battery, etc) versus a low tire, should be a code associated with it but should just be a simple issue/sensor replacement. Good negotiation item, either to have fixed or discounted. Lights on the dash are always easy negotiation items to get fixed as almost any buyer is going to be bothered by it.

Pinion seal is about the only thing that's annoying, IMO. Not sure how DIYable that is on these.

Did you make sure all the little stuff works:

- Rain sensor for wipers
- Power folding mirrors
- all heated seats
- reverse camera
- etc

Agreed. Doesn't seen bad. The Pinion seal is the only thing that gives me pause, but I've look at probably 25+ GX 460 service records over the past month and probably 50% of them note this needing to be done. The PPI place made note to say that it was a VERY small leak.

I'll check all the small stuff out in person tomorrow and walk away if there is anything glaring.

Now the negotiation begins :)

Ahh, so probably so minor it'll be a none-issue, but needed to be mentioned regardless. I could live with that...but I'm an old Jeep guy and used to plenty of leaks that you live with.

Honestly, based on what I found when searching for one, even if they don't negotiate any off $16,500, you'd still be getting a good rig for that price. My 2010 base, two owner (also from Texas) with good all-lexus dealership history, 98K miles, was $19K a few months back.

Good luck and post up some pics if you snag it.

Just got the report back from the PPI place. (I love good independent mechanics who are happy to take the time to talk to you on the phone.) I had them do the PPI before the dealership even did their intake inspection, so they could see original condition.

Summary: Looks good and independent mechanic said he'd buy it.

Noteable details:

• TPMS Light flashing (I assume it needs new sensors. Can anyone comment?)
  • Tires are better than I thought 9/32 front & 6/32 rear
  • Needs transfer case, front diff, rear diff fluids changed due to age (I'd do anyways)
  • Battery is weak and will need replaced soon
  • Needs Front & Rear Brakes
  • No leaks, other than small leak on front pinon seal of front differential (Possible to DIY or does this need to be dealer done?)
  • Water pump was already replaced at 85K
Any other comments before I make an offer?
TPMS could also mean the spare tire is low on air. All 5 wheels have TPMS in them. If they spare is low, that'll show up on the dash.

Yeah. Looks clean. I won't buy a black vehicle though :)

I made the dealer an offer and they are getting back to me.

Do you see a reason not to get the 2010 I posted about above?

no go on the black for me either......

see what they say on your offer......sales are slow I'm sure

pic.......'Nancy' my wife's DD after her bath........;)

She had 2nd thoughts about selling her '05 Tacoma & having this instead

We drove the Tacoma nearly 15 years........Now she says 'was I crazy ?'

axxG3Z9.jpg

Well...I came to terms with the dealership and I'm heading there tomorrow to pick her up. Quite the turn of events after the bad PPI on the truck in Georgia.

Here is where we ended up at:

• Purchase Price Including all fees: $16,140 + tax
  • Dealer will do the following before I pick it up
    • Normal dealership inspection & associated items (They literally just got it as a trade)
    • Replace front brake pads
    • Replace rear brake pads
    • Turn/replace front rotors
    • Turn/replace rear rotors
    • New Battery
    • 0w-20 Synthetic Oil Change
    • Detail of truck

Summary: 3 days ago I was going to pay $14,800 for a 155k mile 2010 GX460 Premium. I'm now paying $1,340 more for a truck with 50k less miles.

#winning

Here is a fun game for folks related to this thread.

Which 2010 GX460 Premium do you think had the cleaner pre-purchase inspection (PPI) based solely off pictures?

Clue: A good reminder that pictures can be deceiving. $50-100 for a pre-purchase inspection is worth it!

Option 1:

2020-04-03_20-10-12.jpg

Option 2:

2020-04-03_20-14-40_1.jpg

Sounds like a good deal, the dealership really stepped up on taking care of those wear and tear items. Take care of that bumper and she'll look great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom