Need longer solenoid cables (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I plan to relocate my solenoid box under the hood but need much longer cables. Where can I find longer cables and do the connectors need to soldered to the cables? Maybe just crimp them?
Of I plan to go 6 feet should I increase the gauge of the cable? I am not even sure what gauge came with my Titan TW12000.

2 ga is pretty commonly used. Bigger is better.

You can use starter motor - battery cables from the junk yard or parts store or get cable at your local welding store.

If you don't have the proper crimp tools, soldering may be easier.

A proper crimp tool pictured below. Should be less than $20 through your local welding shop.

Soldering is for sure, but I hate to do it unless absolutely necessary. If you inspect your wiring regularly, you'll catch any corrosion before it becomes a factor.

So far my crimps are good, but check back in a few years for a long term update.
Lenco840SwedgeCrimper1.jpg
CableAboutToBeLugged3.jpg
EndOfSwedgeLug2.jpg

Do not solder stranded wire. You use stranded wire because it can flex, if you solder the strands together they can not flex anymore.

I recently had a #2 cable made up I got the connectors and wire at a boat shop and had an electrician friend crimp the connectors on with his pneumatic crimp tool. Probably cost you all of a six pack to get an electrician to do a few crimps for you.

Relocated my solenoid box under the hood. Went to NAPA and had them cut the cable and crimp the ends on for me. So far, no issues......

winchwiring.jpg

I used the rubber boots from the original cables and had some loom laying around that I used to pretty it up with.

Got some 2 gauge wire from car quest and crimped my own ends has held up fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom