Need ideas for tensioner removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Posted this in my club section, but since I'm the lone 3f-e owner, figured I'd get more input here.

The adjustment bolt for my alt / power steering idler pulley snapped. The bolt that holds the pulley on to the bracket is starting to strip. Shy of pulling the radiator and attacking full on from the front, anyone have any ideas on how to pull it? I have the idler pulley from the AC belt available to swap in, but don't want to risk fubar'ing the existing idler pulley any further. The belt wont loosen, but i cant tighten it any further, and the power steering adjustment is fully out. I've already hit the radiator a few times, and don't want to risk puncturing it

Make sure your using a 6 point socket, put some penetrating oil on the bolt and let it soak for a few minutes. I like using 1 part ATF to 1 part acetone, its my new favorite. When you think its ready, heat it up with a torch for a solid minute. Then get your 6 point socket on there and give it a go. If it strips then you will probably be forced to pull the radiator so that you can have enough room to hammer a stripped bolt remover on there.

I can definitely say a 6 point is going to save my rear. I can get a much better grip, but am hesitant to put serious pressure on the bolt since its already started to strip out. Will get some penetrating oil on it tomorrow.

When you DO go all or nothing, make sure to apply constant, increasing pressure. It's best to get your biggest ratchet and/or breaker/cheater out to give you the leverage advantage. Then slowly apply that constant pressure, giving a little more until it gives.

Just a quick word. Use Half k's penetrating oil solution. Used it for years when my brother and I ran a repair shop. Second, never use a 12 pt socket unless the bolt is splined for one, finally as mentioned constant pressure, no surging or jerking as that can snap the bolt, but try giving it a tiny bit more tightening before trying to loosen it, it will often times break any bonds between bolt and threads. And if the bolt head rounds(shouldn't with a 6 pt) you can hammer a standard size 6 pt over it and have another go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom