need Help with the 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 80 has been having an power problem when it gets hot.
When the engine has been on for a long time when it is hot outside, it starts the surge and lose LOTS of power.
It feels like it is not getting any gas into the engine. If almost feels like vopour lock, since it is fuel injected, that is very unlikely.
it will do it and almost stall with the lack of power, and it will take a couple of times to get it to start again.
But when it cools off, it will run fine again, till it gets hot again.

And yesterday, another odd thing with the same problem. It was doing the same power problem, but I was very low on gas, when I filled the tank up again, the problem stopped, like the new gas cooled the system down again.

Anyone else have this problem? A little help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kent

Sounds like maybe the fuel pump is getting weak, is it making noise? Is the power loss mostly under hard acceleration, or all the time?

I had a surging problem at 60-65 mph...and I also had sluggishness from accelerating from a stand still. My pump would also whine. My guess is the fuel pump. It's not cheap, but will only take you 30 minutes to do. HTH.

live large,
check in with the guys on the yahoo groups 3FE forum.
They are convinced that the fuel pressure regulator is the root of all evil on the 3FE.
sounds like what you are experiencing as well.
Dave

PHAEDRUS said:
live large,
check in with the guys on the yahoo groups 3FE forum.
They are convinced that the fuel pressure regulator is the root of all evil on the 3FE.
sounds like what you are experiencing as well.
Dave

That could be it.
I have only had the truck for about 4 months now, and it has been happening off and on since I got it. but only when the truck has been on for a long time. (long trips or idling for a long time).
The last few days, it has happened more frequently. And now today, the check engine light turned on for the first time. So that might point to the pressure regulator.
I will try the 3fe forum and try and get more info. If I find the problem, I will post it here in case more people have the issue.

Thanks
Kent

The consensus on the 3fe site seems to be thefuel regulator. Amyone able to tell me what that would look like? and where it is? I know I ned to get the toyota factory manual, but I don't have one yet. so info on where to find it would be helpful.

Thanks

Is anyone have fuel delivery problems from their fuel filters?

livelarg said:
The consensus on the 3fe site seems to be thefuel regulator. Amyone able to tell me what that would look like? and where it is? I know I ned to get the toyota factory manual, but I don't have one yet. so info on where to find it would be helpful.

Thanks

#1 my guess is it is not the pump or regulator-first try replacing the $10 pre filter on the bottom of the fuel pump-accessed below the rear seats BTW.

I bet you'll cure the problem-and its cheap!

Same exact thing happened to me-but I poured more $$ into it before I finally replaced the pre-filter.

peace out...

fj803fe said:
#1 my guess is it is not the pump or regulator-first try replacing the $10 pre filter on the bottom of the fuel pump-accessed below the rear seats BTW.

I bet you'll cure the problem-and its cheap!

Same exact thing happened to me-but I poured more $$ into it before I finally replaced the pre-filter.

peace out...

Where is the pre filter, I"m having the same issue with mine.

3FE list regular here...

1) nyk438: We call it a "fuel sock"; it's in the gas tank, but you can access it from the rear cabin as fj803fe says.

2) livelarg has not followed up on this. We do tend to go a little overboard with the fuel pressure regulator, and indeed that was suggested initially. However, the main symptom of FPR failure is hard starting when warm, rather than what livelarg described. We hashed this out and then pointed him to the "fuel sock" pre-filter.

Hey fj803fe: Good catch. Come check out our list sometime if you haven't already.

Curtis
91FJ80

fuel pump filter/strainer

I'm with the folks this thread who are leaning toward the in-tank fuel strainer. I had stumbling, lack of power, etc, until I replaced the fuel pump filter. It is a little reinforced mesh basket that fits snugly onto the in-tank fuel pump's inlet. When I pulled it out, it was covered with sediment and rust that had accumulated over the years. I replaced it and the severe intermittent power loss problems went away. I think that every time you fill up, it agitates the fuel in the tank enough to temporarily clear the mesh for a few miles, but then the problems return (I had the same symptoms). This was back in the dark ages before I had discovered IH8Mud and the Toyota Factory Service Manual, so I mis-spent hours removing the tank entirely, but I think the easier way is to go in through the service hatch in the left passenger floor under the carpet, as noted above. I *think* it will give you all the access you need. Just be careful with all those flammable fumes or your face will look like this guy---> :mad: The FSM recommends disconnecting the negative cable from the battery before beginning work on fuel-related items (this will erase your trouble codes so write them down first if you want them). Good luck, and I hope that one of these posts aids you.

CJF said:
3FE list regular here...

1) nyk438: We call it a "fuel sock"; it's in the gas tank, but you can access it from the rear cabin as fj803fe says.

2) livelarg has not followed up on this. We do tend to go a little overboard with the fuel pressure regulator, and indeed that was suggested initially. However, the main symptom of FPR failure is hard starting when warm, rather than what livelarg described. We hashed this out and then pointed him to the "fuel sock" pre-filter.

Hey fj803fe: Good catch. Come check out our list sometime if you haven't already.

Curtis
91FJ80

I have been on there for quite some time now-since its inception. I have just been lurking more than posting lately.

nyk438: We call it a "fuel sock"; it's in the gas tank, but you can access it from the rear cabin as fj803fe says.

When you say the rear cabin, are you saying under the middle seats, or way in the back under the rear seats?
And how should i get to the fuel sock/ prefilter?
Dang I need to get the FSM! where can I get one anyway?

Thanks
Kent

Call Cdan for the FSM. To get to the access just remove your middle seat, and btm door edge trim and roll the carpet back till you can see the oval access panel. After that ist is self explanitory.
Cheers,
Sean

Thanks for the info. I am planning on working on it tomarrow

All right, now I really need some help!

I got the carpet off, and the little access cover off. now what? how do I get to the pre-filter? Do I take off the ovel access into the gas tank?
I went tot he parts store, and all they have record of is the fuel filter, should I be asking for something else?

Thanks
Kent

Havent done it on the 80 yet, but thats gonna be your port of access. Try telling them you want the prefilter on the fuel pump. If that dont work, order one from dan or go to your local stealership. The guys at my Advance auto are great. They love me cus I spend a crapload of money there. 219 dollars yesterday in fact. :doh:

livelarg said:
All right, now I really need some help!

I got the carpet off, and the little access cover off. now what? how do I get to the pre-filter? Do I take off the ovel access into the gas tank?
I went tot he parts store, and all they have record of is the fuel filter, should I be asking for something else?

Thanks
Kent

Once you pull the access cover remove the fuseable link wires and the fuel lines-I used a snubbed off golf tee and a rag to plug the hose holes while doing the work-a little will drain out. Its been so long this is from snapshots in my mind. I believe there are phillips screws holding the top plate of the pump on. If you're concerned get a set of kitchen rubber gloves that go up to your forearm-if there is about a half tank.

lift up on this plate and you will be essentially pulling out the pump. There is a tank level float that is somewhat difficult to get through the hole. Thats where the gloves come in handy. Be genlte but reach in and get an idea of the dimensions of the pump and the direction of the float arm. You will need to rotate the pump about 90° to get it out and probably put a little pressure on teh float arm to get it through. Once you have the pump out the filter will become VERY obvious. Getting the small retaining clip off is not all that hard it just takes some patience and intuitive thinking. Just be carefull not to mangle any rubber or the float arm-you'll be fine... Have a large towel to set it on or else you'll be fighting fuel smell for a while in the truck.

For parts like these...DO NOT GO FOR AFTERMARKET. In fact I doubt anyone makes one (that I know of)-get ahold of CDan or J Hocker... THIS WILL BE A SPECIAL ORDER PART-likely. the only pace that I found had one in stock was a Phoenix stealership-Worked out though as I went to visit my bro in Scottsdale that same weekend mine was shot. And they gave me a TLCA discount! I should have written to thank them-25% off.

$219? Ouch.
There are 2 lines going into the tank, one has a clip, but the other does'nt. how do I take them off?

Thanks

livelarg said:
$219? Ouch.
There are 2 lines going into the tank, one has a clip, but the other does'nt. how do I take them off?

Thanks

From memory one is bolted to the top??? I dunno. Can you take a pic??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom