Need help with rear axle dimensions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys.
I need some help.
I used to own 100 series long time ago. I now own GX470. The rear axle are known to be weak and I am researching some affordable alternative. I found 100 series rear axle are cheap and can be had with locker and 4.30 ratio. I am already running 4.30 in my truck. So if I can make this work it would a really awesome cheap upgrade.

I know this axle are a lot wider than my GX axle. But with the strange combination of OEM 60 mm wheels and 2" wheel adapter up front it actually would be the same as running aftermarket wheels with +10 offset.

I need to know the dimensions marked in 3 red arrows in the picture below.
000000346006.jpg

I know the bushing for the link arm are different, the lower on the GX are the same as the upper and the bottom are a bit bigger. I am OK with making custom rear link. It should be easy to fabricate.

I also need to figure out the rear ABS sensor if anybody know the number of the tone ring teeth count. I wanted to keep ATRAC function. The sensor are totally different. I need to keep GX stye. Pic below.
d7b4d6c661514b60820c65a5b194031c_490.jpg

If any body can post a picture of the rear speed sensor location, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much.

These are rough measurements.

Top control arm mounts inside to inside 18.75"
Spring perch center to center 35.75"
Lower control arm mount inside 34.5"

MVIMG_20201113_162122.jpg

The tone rings are 48 teeth. (at least in the front...I think it's safe to assume the rear is also)

This will prob get kicked to GXOR-

I wouldn't bother trying to fit a LC axle; the geometry and track will be all messed up.

JustDifferentials sells a complete HD 8.2 housing kit, geared and locked.

You can also import the factory axle housing that comes on Prado's and FJC that was designed for the AU market. Its trussed and reinforced- its very nice. But you'll have some work to do to swap everything over and weld sway brackets, dealing with importing costs but the endprice would be similar to JT's kit. the difference would be the strength benefit of trussed housing.

This will prob get kicked to GXOR-

I wouldn't bother trying to fit a LC axle; the geometry and track will be all messed up.0
This is just something I am tinkering with.
I did regear from 3.73 to 4.30 with rear elocker for $1100 installed. The 4.30 8" never give me any issue yet and give big off road performance boost.

Definitely much easier to just fork the money and get it done. But doing something nobody else ever done would be really cool too.

I got the track width thing figure out. If can get this swap done for 25% cost of diamond axle it's worth it for me. For most build this swap does not make sense. For me it makes perfect sense since I already run 4.30 gear and I do not want aftermarket wheels. The combo with OEM 100 series wheels and 2" 6x139.7 to 5x150 wheel adapters bring it equal to +10 offset wheels which is good for me that want to keep the vehicle somewhat stock looking.

Last edited:
That is awesome. Thank you very much for the info.

The measurement on the GX are as follows
Top control arm center to center are about 17". The much wider spread would make it hit fuel tank.
Spring perch center to center are about 32"
The lower control arm spread are 44" center to center. This is weirs that the 100 series are much closer together.

Thank you very much for the info. This is very valuable to me.

The tone rings are 48 teeth. (at least in the front...I think it's safe to assume the rear is also)
Thanks for the info. I would need to check what I have. Hopefully it is the same.

The bracketry are easy fix. So far the only one holding me up is the wheel speed sensor. Apparently it used the magnetic field from special wheel bearing that is very common nowadays but 100 series still use old style that require tone ring and not as precise. All the ATRAC and ABS would not work any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom