Need help with radio install and enlarged dash cutout (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some help on a radio install for my ‘76 40. Looking to install either a stock HU or period correct HU w/ modern features. Either way, I want it to fit the stock slot, not a modern sized HU in the enlarged opening.

Currently my 40 has:
- a new antenna mounted, but no radio.
- factory speaker mounting plate in the glove box, but no speaker.
- dash opening, but was "enlarged" by the PO to fit a modern HU.

First, the dash cutout needs repairing. Thus, what are the original dimensions of the opening? Second, what lies inside the factory opening when the radio is removed? Such as, frame and/or brackets needed to mount the HU? Anyone have any pix you can share of this?

Here's my dash opening below. Both left and right side of the sheet metal was not removed, but rather cut top and bottom and rolled back inside the opening (thanks PO). Reaching inside, the metal that needs to be pulled back out, has the feel of a frame to it for a radio to bolt to. I have a delete plate to cover up this eye sore for the time being-

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

This is more or less the outward appearance I'm shooting for:

1.jpg

Well, I like your idea. Most people wanting what you want, go to the link. Also, please read as the dimensions for the slot are included. These are nice radios.

Well, I like your idea. Most people wanting what you want, go to the link. Also, please read as the dimensions for the slot are included. These are nice radios.

Ah, thanks for the info. You’re a lifesaver. Exactly what I needed. That solves The HU and dimension issue.

You don’t happen to have any pix of how the frame inside the dash opening should look without the HU installed do you? I’d like to know/see how a HU is mounted.

Ah, thanks for the info. You’re a lifesaver. Exactly what I needed. That solves The HU and dimension issue.

You don’t happen to have any pix of how the frame inside the dash opening should look without the HU installed do you? I’d like to know/see how a HU is mounted.

Sorry , my rigs are so old a radio was not even an issue. I do not have a rig with a radio hole. Hope you fix it and use the "new" modern radio. I wish mine had the blank.

The folded back part should look like this when repaired, the stock radio is mounted with a screw on each side, fit in that slot:

1589980404903.png

The stock radio face plate fits neatly inside the dash cutout. The pictures you have above are not stock radio face plates, they are too wide to fit in the hole. This is a stock face plate (one version) fit to a later am/fm stereo radio. I run it to a soundstream amp that also has Bluetooth connectivity for streaming from a phone or tablet.

1589980886955.png

The folded back part should look like this when repaired, the stock radio is mounted with a screw on each side, fit in that slot

Nice. Thanks. At least the PO didn’t remove those tabs altogether. Should be able to pry them back out and repair the opening itself. Glad I’m not missing any framing inside there.

Was not aware the HUs sat in the hole like the one you pictured. I just figured they overlapped the opening. Very good to know!

Just to ad a couple more pics. This is uncut 74.

20200520_105721.jpg

20200520_105715.jpg

20200520_105711.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom