need help with gauges (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a bj42 that has been restored when I put the instrument cluster back together and in the car the fuel and temp gauges do not work. Has any else hade this problem? Does anyone know what I could to fix this problem?

If both do not work, I would look for a ground problem. Then the sending units.

portugie joe said:
I have a bj42 that has been restored when I put the instrument cluster back together and in the car the fuel and temp gauges do not work. Has any else hade this problem? Does anyone know what I could to fix this problem?

Did they work before you took out the gauge cluster?

do you have a wiring diagram for that vehicle?

It's not too difficult to make a wrong connection when removing and replacing the cluster, and it could take just one little mistake to cause your problem.

Probably get an answer here, but folks with BJ42s, 24 volt diesels hang out on the Diesel and 24 volt Tech board....

Did you do the resto? Removing the gauge cluster is easy so you might pull it and check those connections as honk alludes

I would also check the connections at the sending units (these are easy to find/get to), then follow things back to the cluster.

Some helpful threads I found with Search:

This one seems to indicate a common ground on temp and fuel gauges....
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=47401&highlight=removing+gauge

For cluster removal:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=70093&highlight=instrument+cluster

HTH
B

BTW welcome to MUD! :flipoff2:
And congrats on a resto'd BJ42!:bounce:

I read a few posts on this recently... lots of good info here when you search :) I think they the temp and fuel guage share some contact points in the back of the instrument cluster, and that others that have had the problem pulled the cluster and cleaned up those points of contact and had good success. When it's fuel and temp there is something common involved.

My problem was just temp... turned out that the wire to the sending unit was severed. Hooked it back up and am golden now. Good luck!

Yes all the gauges worked fine before I removed it. Checked all the grounds everything seems to be fine. Checked all the connections they are fine. When the temp gauge is getting close to edge I unplug the fuel gauge under the truck and the temp gauge move back a little. Is it possible that the fuel unit could be bad? Could that cause the two problems?

I also think they are related (the two gauges not working at same time) My fuel and temp stopped working for about a half day until I hit a big bump then everything was okay again. Seems like loose connections.

HEY JOE! It's Mark, the guy who worked on your carb at Mud Lake a couple of years ago! Hope to make it to the Coastal Get Together this year.

Anyways, to answer your question, the guages share a common power lead. The sending units provide a fluctuating ground which changes the reading on the guage. So whenever more than one guage acts up at a time, it is much more likely to be a power issue than a ground issue.

I would identify which wire in the plug brings the power to those two guages and bypass it temporarily with a switched hot wire from the fuse block to see if the guages read normally.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom