need help to fix my lj78 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi
joined this forum so i could get some help in running my cruiser
recently bought a very used lj78 frame number lj78-0007203. let me list the details

1-turns out it has been converted from a 2400cc 2LTE to a 2800cc 3L engine with a manual pump.
2- still have the turbo but dont know if it works
3- do not have the original efi injector
4- do it have the wiring harness for the efi
5- do not have a ecu(checked inside the glove box) seems to be missing some sensors too
6- rpm not working but oil pressure and heat shows up
seems that it is nearly impossible to get it to original 2LTE spec. so i have been advised to continue with the 3L conversion.

do i install the turbo ??if so what are the sensors i need for that.
do i need an ecu ?
how to make the rpm work?
hope someone can help me
thanks in advance.

Welcome to the madness! I would say you're better off to stay with the 3L at this point. Depending on where you are in Nepal adding the turbo would make a lot of sense, as it will give increased performance at high altitude. No ECU will be necessary for that, since your engine is already mechanical all the tuning will be done by turning screws. Strictly speaking you don't need any sensors to hook up the turbo, but a pyrometer to measure the exhaust temperature pre-turbo is highly recommended if you don't want to cook your engine. Also, if you're going to turbo the engine I would strongly suggest you install an intercooler at the same time, it will allow you to run cooler and make more power.
As far as the tachometer is concerned there should be a tach output sensor on the injection pump that you can wire in to the factory harness going to the gauge cluster. I can check on my 3L Hilux later today. On the 2L-TE the tachometer output comes from the ECU, but the signal should be the same type. Here is a link to the wiring diagrams for the LJ78: '90-'92 70-Series Wiring Manual.pdf

In NZ we have a lot of 3L powered Hiluxes & turbo conversions are fairly common so if you have got most of the parts go for it. As noted above, check the EGT's & keep it cool & you'll have a good combo. Make sure all the cooling system is in good shape, fan clutch working, good fitting fan shroud, clean radiator. Getting the radiator core rodded out can be a big improvement on an old truck too.

Cheers
Clint

Regarding the Turbo, you may want to double check to see if the turbo has both the "oil lines" and "coolant lines" still attached or laying in a box somewhere.
No sensors as previously mentioned, and fairly straight forward bolt it on, but I'd make sure I had all of the parts/lines/hoses/banjo bolts/gaskets prior to jumping right back in and trying to add it back on.

thanks for the reply guys
am going to check what parts i have and go from there
about the intercooler- is there any specific thats suitable because i might have an intercooler from a 1992 mitsubishi pajero avaiable
i checkd the injection pump but did not find a place for the rpm sensor (maybe it is not for the lj78 so does not have one). i may have to find another pump
anyways thanks again .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom