Need Help (Suggestions) for Ironman 4x4 FCP 2.5" Lifted Coilover Install. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So today was the day I decided to install my Ironman 4x4 FCP 2.5" pre-build stage 2 lift for my 2010 GX460. I have watched the 29 min Ironman installation video a number of times. Hint - this does not take 29 minutes.

My current issue that has sent me to bed:

On the passenger side, I cannot get the lower control arm bolt holes to line up with the coilover bolt hole, even after applying as much force to the lower control arm as I can to try and line the holes up.

In the sample instructional videos I have watched the FCP coilover seems similarly sized to the OEM coilover so no issues for them in getting the lower control arm bolt in.

My FCP coilovers seem longer than the OEM so it took a bit of force on the lower control arm to get the drivers side installed. On the drivers side I also did not need the washer to get the castle nut to line up with the hole. I am worried the my geometry is out of whack.

On the passenger side it took a hurculean effort and two people to get the lower end of the coilover seated in the bolt pocket. Like spreading open the jaws of an alligator. Now the holes are only about less than half way lined up and I can't get the bolt through and I don't want to ruin the bushing doing something stupid.

Is it as simple as creating a tapered pin of similar diameter and pushing that in reverse to line up the holes and then use the bolt to drive out the alignment pin? This is the brute force method, but I don't want to use brute force if I have something else going wrong.

I can fit a skinny phillips screwdriver though the holes.

Any suggestions?

Appreciate any help. I am going to bed and will get back at it in the morning. In hindsight, I would have gladly had professionals do this. I thought this would be a fun pride of ownership project... nope!

I run the same kit on mine, unfortunately I can't be of much help with the install as I paid someone to do the install for me for the very reasons you are addressing here. Hopefully someone with knowledge of the issue will chime in soon and be of assistance. I can tell you that you will enjoy the kit, the ride quality is very good.

I run the same kit on mine, unfortunately I can't be of much help with the install as I paid someone to do the install for me for the very reasons you are addressing here. Hopefully someone with knowledge of the issue will chime in soon and be of assistance. I can tell you that you will enjoy the kit, the ride quality is very good.
Thanks! I am headed to the hardware store to see if I can rig an alignment pin system to use to align the holes and then have the bolt drive out the alignment pin.

Thanks! I am headed to the hardware store to see if I can rig an alignment pin system to use to align the holes and then have the bolt drive out the alignment pin.
Success!

I was just headed out the door on a fools errand. My SO who has been helping me, she suggested that I use the car jack. So using a pry bar between the frame and the lower control arm and a small car jack between the frame and the lower control arm to capture the spread with the pry bar, I got the holes to line up and the bolt through. Front suspension is now in. Now on to the rear.

Can't wait until this is put back together.

Awesome perseverance!
On looking back at your install, the harder it is, the more pride and accomplishment in having over come!
If was as easy as installing floor mats, would you have felt the same pride?

I have the same lift on mine but with the nitro shocks. I can't remember which side it was, but one was way harder than the other. I used a similar method of a jack and the largest flathead screw driver I own to get it to line up, then slid the bolt in. Took all of the strength I had but it can be done. The rears are the easy part. Enjoy. It's a nice lift for $

I have the Dobinsons lift, but had the same issue on the drivers side...which is exactly why my rig sat overnight like this.

Took a buddy and me a good bit of frustration to get the strut assembly in (with lower control arm still bolted in place) passenger side was easy in comparison.

Glad you got it worked out, bet the SO was proud to help some.

A6299A1D-58AD-472D-BA6B-DDD01EDA5A34.jpeg

Good deal, now post some pics!

Awesome perseverance!
On looking back at your install, the harder it is, the more pride and accomplishment in having over come!
If was as easy as installing floor mats, would you have felt the same pride?
True. There is a bit of pride now that it is all put together. Though I may be more of a floor mats kind of guy. :D

I have the same lift on mine but with the nitro shocks. I can't remember which side it was, but one was way harder than the other. I used a similar method of a jack and the largest flathead screw driver I own to get it to line up, then slid the bolt in. Took all of the strength I had but it can be done. The rears are the easy part. Enjoy. It's a nice lift for $
Glad to hear I didn't totally screw it up with brute force.

I have the Dobinsons lift, but had the same issue on the drivers side...which is exactly why my rig sat overnight like this.

Took a buddy and me a good bit of frustration to get the strut assembly in (with lower control arm still bolted in place) passenger side was easy in comparison.

Glad you got it worked out, bet the SO was proud to help some.

View attachment 2543051
Yes. Mine looked like that for two days on four jack stands. in the garage. And tools spread all over the place. SO was also very helpful in getting the rears installed. This is a two person job IMHO.

Also, I ordered a 2.5" front lift and 2" rear lift. I am now measuring nearly 4" lift in front and 3+" in rear. I hope this settles. I didn't want to go that high.

Also, I ordered a 2.5" front lift and 2" rear lift. I am now measuring nearly 4" lift in front and 3+" in rear. I hope this settles. I didn't want to go that high.

Don't worry, it'll settle to 2.75"-ish up front and around 2" in the rear.

When you start adding "heavy metal", e.g. bumpers, sliders, RTT, your overweight mother-in-law (if you have one...) it will come down a bit.
Also suspension usually settles a wee bit just from driving around as the springs and components start to "seat".

When you start adding "heavy metal", e.g. bumpers, sliders, RTT, your overweight mother-in-law (if you have one...) it will come down a bit.
Also suspension usually settles a wee bit just from driving around as the springs and components start to "seat".
I will be adding RSG sliders (sprung weight), so that may help. I don't plan to armor up the GX other than that, given that it is also my daily driver.

Reactions: r2m
Got the same sliders, didn't make any change in ride height. You'll love the sliders, good stuff.

Did your truck settle down anymore? I'm considering FCP's but I only have 2.5-3" garage clearance so not much room for error.
It seems a bit. I have added the RSG sliders and changed the wheels (Fuel Shok 17x10 with -12 offset) and tires (Falken Wildpeaks AT3W 285/70/17). I forgot to measure from the ground before I swapped wheels and tires, so now I just have the hub measure to compare. I will measure tonight and reply. I have been meaning to do that.

The fronts are adjustable though. I bought the tools to do this (spring compressors and wrench with the little nubby), but haven't yet decided if I will or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom