Island Cruiser "Build" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone. Figured I'd do a quick intro since I've already been reading a bunch of stuff here on my new project 80 and likely asking questions, hunting down parts, etc.

I am not new to Toyota trucks. The first one was a 2002 DC Taco, and since then I've had quite a few Tacos & 4runners in the US and an older Tundra I shipped to our island (and massively regret selling here).

I don't really 'build' vehicles in the same sense most do, just use them as mostly factor with some upgrades I feel are worthwhile. A good friend of mine who's helping me with since I'm about 4000 miles away on an island is more of the build guy (getting a dyno run on the SC he just put in a '21 Tundra among many other mods on it and other vehicles) between the two of us we've got 3 Tacos (one for sale, and another one coming up soon) and a Tundra and this one at the moment.

Anyway, here's the future Island Cruiser I just picked up to fix and then ship off to be my island rig here in the Bahamas. It's a 92 and obviously needs a bit of work, but has only 150k on it.

The goal is to get it back to good condition, mechanically sound, as many preventative fixes as necessary, and then stick it on the boat. Importing vehicles (and most anything) here is crazy expensive so we're doing as much as we can before without making it fancy because the import duty (85%) is paid based on the vehicle value at and another 10% VAT on top. Ugh.

IMG_5671.jpeg

Has some fairly light front-end damage and other misc issues, but the first thing to take care of is water intrusion. Seems like possibly coming in through what I'm assuming is a bad door seal on the passenger side, or possibly a break in a sunroof drain hose? Water seems to be coming down the door vs directly pooling onto on the floor (which is wet) or in the headliner.

Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 2.21.57 PM.png

Does your LC have a sunroof, if so make sure the drains are free and clear. They can clog and cause water to enter the main compartment.

Does your LC have a sunroof, if so make sure the drains are free and clear. They can clog and cause water to enter the main compartment.
Yes. That's one of the first things on the list to check top to bottom with tie wire or heavy fishing line. Seems like it's running down behind the door's a-pillar cover for lack of a better explanation.

Yes. That's one of the first things on the list to check top to bottom with tie wire or heavy fishing line. Seems like it's running down behind the door's a-pillar cover for lack of a better explanation.

If that is where the water is that is your issue, clogged sunroof drain.

Haven't had much detailed "look" at this truck yet but my buddy and I did a video call a few days ago to give me a virtual tour. Smog pump has been removed, the airline to the intake hasn't been blocked off (hose is still laying open ended by where smog pump was)

Overall, it looks to be in pretty decent shape other than the obvious front end issue . It hasn't moved too many miles in the last few years. The paint and overall condition is better than I expected, it has the tool kit, owners manual, 2 keys and couple service records. Both front seat outer bolsters are a bit flat, there's a small tear on the seat side-skirt on the passenger side, a bit larger on the driver side and small hole in the fabric on the driver side of that bolster. It has most of the parts to put it back together other than clearance lights and both headlights need to be replaced and maybe some front trim pieces. The front bumper is a bit bent and missing the $90 plastic end cap on one side.

In related news, I saw an identical one that one of my search alerts flagged listed for $13k with 100k more miles on it that was complete and appeared to be in about the same (but cleaner) shape inside, included the 3rd row seats and good paint all around.

Speaking of, this one's paint isn't all that bad. I had considered painting the flares and a couple small touch up spots and sending it, but I am waffling on whether to monstaliner it, or just fix it and sell it (since that's what we do with other vehicles) since it's overall in pretty good shape once it gets the love it needs after a few years of neglect.

We'll see. I really like the idea of having a durable exterior and a vehicle that is more mechanical than newer ones out here on the island since they're just easier to work on and less things to go wrong. But I'm feeling a bit conflicted about doing that to something that could be pretty nice if fixed properly.

Ok, the plan is (always tentatively, since flying into the US requires a 1 day before flight nasal cavity search now) that I'll be flying to FL this week, grabbing some stuff from storage and heading to the PNWet on Saturday. Then I'll be camping in my buddy's garage and start some actual work for a few weeks.

Been a bit slow going as I've been focusing on the sunroof leak (without much progress - it doesn't seem to seal very well and the single pinch welds are ridiculous for taking in any amount of water so for now the rocker plugs are pulled) but the new radiator and fan clutch is in.

Liland brand, not quite a perfect fit and took a bit of corrosion.

E2DF2DAB-9218-41B3-A776-F4B7F7E6016C.jpeg
13385799-2DDA-4B2A-9B1D-82649EFD42F6.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom