Need Help! Leaking clutch fluid in '78 Bj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Heyas! I went to go for a drive along the beach in my '78 Bj40 on the weekend, and i realised the clutch was all floppy! I then discovered i had no clutch fluid...Its leaking out from underneath the car, where the hose joins up with the lever thing on the side of the gearbox. There appears to be a rubber seal there which has worn away a little. Could anyone help me with how to go about fixing this problem? Obviously i cant take the car anywhere. Im not too mechanically minded however i think with some help i can do this. Im not sure where id get the seal either. Id appreciate any help! By the way, im from Perth, Australia. Thanks!

don't know how well you know any car parts shops. i've got one i have become pretty well known to, and he can track down anything.

but call a parts shop and ask heaps of questions. at a pinch try repco, or similar. and then they can tell you what the part is called. then go round a few other shops with the part name. basically i have no idea about how to change this though, but mostly with cars, i've learnt that if you take things apart carefully, you can re assemble them in the opposite direction with the new part. i started out with no idea.

don't forget to bleed your clutch, ask heaps of questions on here, and if you need to ask how to bleed your clutch, give us a yell. it's pretty simple.

don't forget buy more brake fluid than you think you need

RyRy,
That's your slave cylinder that appears to be leaking. You can either replace the whole thing, or get a rebuild kit. They are pretty simple to rebuild.

what idave said. half asleep, i thought you were talking about the hose tube thing....

still worth a go.

got a factory manual for it?

i got one for diesel cruisers up to 85. i could try scanning the clutch pages and email them to you if you wanted

thanks guys. I really appreciate it. As i said, it just appears to be leaking from a rubber seal. Couldnt i just buy a new seal for it from somewhere? I guess id have to pull the whole thing off to put it on.

bad_religion_au, id really appreciate that if u find the time. ryryyy@hotmail.com

cheerrs

Ryan

It is probably the rubber knob inside the cylinder, not the boot that is the problem. You'll have to get in there to do it.

goin ta bed tonight, i'll try getting my scanner to work tomorrow 4 you.

They're a peice of cake to do. Maybe $10 for a rebuild kit. Take the slave cylinder off, pull the guts out of it, take a little piece of fine grit sandpaper to the inside of it, cause there will no doubt be a ledge of dirt/rust, put your new plunger in, bolt it up, bleed it, and your golden.

since XP this scanner's been a pain.

if i can't get it to work, i could photocopy the pages and snail mail them to you. if you want that email me your address

my most checked email is mada_3083@yahoo.com

i'll keep trying to get it to work though

Thanks for all ur help guys! I pulled it off tonight and tomorrow ill go see if i can get a rebuild kit. Doesnt look too hard so i dont think ill need that manual. IF i need anymore help ill keep you guys posted. Thanks again!

Ryan

no probs, but if anyone needs particular parts of the manual give me a yell, i can scan it when i get back to uni.

Heyas! I went to go for a drive along the beach in my '78 Bj40 on the weekend, and i realised the clutch was all floppy! I then discovered i had no clutch fluid...Its leaking out from underneath the car, where the hose joins up with the lever thing on the side of the gearbox. There appears to be a rubber seal there which has worn away a little. Could anyone help me with how to go about fixing this problem? Obviously i cant take the car anywhere. Im not too mechanically minded however i think with some help i can do this. Im not sure where id get the seal either. Id appreciate any help! By the way, im from Perth, Australia. Thanks!

I to had the exact same problem with my BJ42 '81 about a month ago and not being mechanialy minded also i consulted my manual. It turned out to be the slave cylinder which i brought an after market one from Don Kyatt here in Vic cost about $35 aus. I was amazed how easy it was but i did have few problems adjusting the clutch (still not sure if it right. Most of what i have i said has being covered already but if your like me i need as much info i can get my hands on before i will pull out the spanners.

Good Luck.........Dazz :)

I also had this same problem recently. I bought a new slave cylinder, and it was very easy, even for me, who had never done this before. I bought new just because I like to know what I have. If and when this one goes, I will rebuild it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom