Need Help Identifying Master Clutch Cylinder and Slave Cylinder 72 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone

I have a 72 FJ40 and my slave cylinder has been not used in years. Totally dried out and rod was left out in the weather to rust by previous owner . Thanks to Mark’s Off Road my transmission and transfer case is ready to get installed.

So need some advice. Can I revive my slave cylinder with new rubber and rod Or replace master clutch cylinder and slave cylinder with line or ? I attached pics The manufacturer date on fj40 is April 1972.

Not sure what to purchase.

forgot to mention this has small block chevy
Phil

Phil, the pictures didn’t post. SOR and a few other vendors have an ‘update’ kit with matched master, slave and hoses that should hopefully be plug and play. I never bothered putting a ‘kit’ together, or I’d offer to sell you one.😉

Phil, the pictures didn’t post. SOR and a few other vendors have an ‘update’ kit with matched master, slave and hoses that should hopefully be plug and play. I never bothered putting a ‘kit’ together, or I’d offer to sell you one.😉

Thanks Mark I called SOR and the person I spoke to said I should confirm... I would definitely buy from you.

Should this kit work?
018-01B-KITCLUTCH HYDRAULIC UPDATE KIT -
Fits 7/70-8/74 FJ40 Comes with a new clutch master cylinder, new slave cylinder, new clutch hose, new metal tube, new slave rod, and slave nut.

IMG_3611.jpeg

IMG_3610.jpeg

IMG_3609.jpeg

Hi Everyone

I have a 72 FJ40 and my slave cylinder has been not used in years. Totally dried out and rod was left out in the weather to rust by previous owner . Thanks to Mark’s Off Road my transmission and transfer case is ready to get installed.

So need some advice. Can I revive my slave cylinder with new rubber and rod Or replace master clutch cylinder and slave cylinder with line or ? I attached pics The manufacturer date on fj40 is April 1972.

Not sure what to purchase.

forgot to mention this has small block chevy
Phil

- lets be real here , thats 75+ year old cast iron , man just landed on the MOON , and that was the time to consider rebuild kit and then hope for the best ......

- i can say Metalurgy and Rubber Technology has improved since the last SHUTTLE program mission too ...

ASCO , AISIN , and DENSO , SUMITOMO and even NipponDenso too came out of rertirement , all had a TOP SECERT AREA 51 pow wow in the Cellar of the LEGONARY PLANT A11 Facility and said : .........

Hey , instead of being sneeky pete sly to one another , lets help the SOLID Folks in the Vintage TEq Parts Community Land Cruiser Car Clubs Globaly , and lets just all call each other nice happy thoughts like
ADVICS ....:D

- i like happy thoughts and i like happy products designed by the Happy Swell People from ADVICS ,
MADE in Japan too !

heck , its a lot less messy and good for gods green earth , not to have smelly DOT-3 down the side walk for the Neighbors little Rover to lap all up , yummy and later fall over from a upset tummy ...:confused:

- oh 2 last things here are super relvent , .....:idea:

- NASA Space Age Fully Synthetic DOT-3 , first used in the APOLLO 11 mission , is on the shelf at auto zone too , NO wicking of moisture , in the long dayz ahead = many long happy ADVICS days ahead too ....:cool:

- also , folks who share that JIS-bug that bit you , are working hard & long into to the WEE-TEq hours , because that's what they like to do for people mr. @2nd FJ40 like you , becuase that is is what they do like to do .....

- purchase new clutch and slave here , use full synthetic DOT-3, always use new JIS plated assembly where ever and when ever possible = : HOUSTON the TEq has Landed !
- and then is on to the things that matter most , .....just you ..:beer::popcorn:

1688019373205.png

Last edited:
I have a 72 FJ40. I just bought a new master and slave with a braided stainless steel hose two weeks ago off ebay for $130 delivered The SS hose was long, they wanted $50 more for the correct length. Installed and works nice. I used the new slave rod but with my old nut, had to reuse the fork for the pedal off the old one as it didn't come with one - the pic showed it was not included. joetlc was the seller.

I knew the old slave was bad, and I had a kit for it - but the bore was bad from sitting for 10+years I doubt the kit would fix it for long and the bleed nipple was rusted in. When I pulled the master it was bad too so I'm glad I got the whole system.

I was really glad the last time I did the job, I cut a screwdriver slot in the bolt head that behind the brake booster, was easier to R/R

What year did the master cylinder end of the clutch flexible hose go from 11x1.0 to 10x1.0? Are the slave cylinder ends of that hose always the same (11x1.25, I think, w crush washer)? @65swb45

Last edited:
What year did the master cylinder end of the clutch flexible hose go from 11x1.0 to 10x1.0? Are the slave cylinder ends of that hose always the same (11x1.25, I think, w crush washer)? @65swb45
Steve

I have always used the 7/70 transition to the dual brake master/ booster as my reference point in my head. And ag in my head, the clutch lines changed at the same time.

It’s honestly been decades since I can remember looking at a microfiche to confirm if that’s the actual case.

Ask Erik to remind me and I’ll fire up the microfiche machine for him when he stops by in a few days.😉

Steve

I have always used the 7/70 transition to the dual brake master/ booster as my reference point in my head. And ag in my head, the clutch lines changed at the same time.

It’s honestly been decades since I can remember looking at a microfiche to confirm if that’s the actual case.

Ask Erik to remind me and I’ll fire up the microfiche machine for him when he stops by in a few days.😉
Will do, thx!

FYI. OE spec clutch hoses and master / slave cylinders for every year are available on City Racer, including any discontinued years. You don't need to figure out which year has which size. Just select the hose based on year/month of your rig and you'll receive one that's the same as the original.

I've had good success running the later model slave and clutch masters on my FJ40 equiped sbc's. I think they're something like 1975 and later. I usually run Aisin or similar stk replacement.

Last edited:
Hoping Phil doesn't mind if I hijack this thread (seems like maybe it's safe since convo ended a few months ago). My situation is fairly similar and so I didn't want to start a brand new thread....

I, too, have a 72.' (But, with a 2F engine). Still trying to figure out exactly what else was replaced with the 78' year engine...

Noticed that my master clutch cylinder has a pretty bad leak so am going to replace it. As I was poking around, also noticed that PO had done a real hack job on the slave cylinder so am going to replace both the master and slave and everything in between. You can see from photos that the slave was hacked into and then went the old hose clamp method to mount -ugh. I don't know the variations of the model years well enough to know why this old slave had to be modified in the first place and what other issues may exist (as far as fitment) that I'm unfamiliar with. (The hose clamp and ground out slave was a pretty dead giveaway)

Anyway, anyone have any recommendations on where I can get a quality "kit" that will be compatible with my setup to replace the master/slave set? I see that CCOT and SOR sell one and I may be able to build my own with City Racer parts. Anyone see any other issues I'm going to have? (other than a missing motor mount pad that I also discovered).
IMG_7592.JPG
IMG_7590.JPG
IMG_7587.JPG
IMG_7586.JPG
IMG_7584.JPG

Your truck is missing the stubby bracket that the second bolt hole in the slave cylinder is supposed to attach to. Run a search for slave cylinder mount and you should be able to find a picture of what it looks like.

At least they had the sense to not try and run the slave with only one bolt to secure it.

Your truck is missing the stubby bracket that the second bolt hole in the slave cylinder is supposed to attach to. Run a search for slave cylinder mount and you should be able to find a picture of what it looks like.

At least they had the sense to not try and run the slave with only one bolt to secur
I see a lot of these update brake cylinder kits are good through year 74.' Curious what changed after 74'?

Bore size, hose attachment, pushrod, etc. Be happy to go over the details when you call in your order.😉

I have your missing return spring bracket as well.😉

Bore size, hose attachment, pushrod, etc. Be happy to go over the details when you call in your order.😉

I have your missing return spring bracket as well.😉
Sounds good. Discovered the transfer case is from a 72' so a little more confident I know what I'm working with now. I'll give you a call tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom