Need help from the collective on where to take my build next (1 Viewer)

I know the build advice topic has been beat to death, but I wanted some real world opinions on where I should go from my current state. My 98 LX is current on all maintenance and I stay on top of preventative maintenance as well. I have a full front bumper, and winch. I live in Idaho, and pull a small overland trailer. I'm on 275/70/18 Toyo ATII's and have a 2" lift with Nitro UCA's. My truck has the factory LSD, and stock gears both front and rear. I carry a recovery kit. I'm torn on what to do next. Do I -

- Add a front locker?
- Add sliders? I don't do any rock crawling, so I'm not overly concerned with my rockers.
- Add an ARB compressor, so I can deflate, and air up with ease?
- Roof rack?
- Maxtrax?

Is there anything I've missed that I should be looking at first?

Thanks in adance!

Sounds like you have mod-itis. Base it on your needs. Not what the internet tells you. If you are honest with yourself you'll probably find you don't need to do much of anything.

I wouldn't say I have "mod-itis". I have a motorcycle, and other hobbies that all require funding :)

Being out in the wilderness camping/exploring is something that we enjoy, and parts of ID are quite remote. I just want to make sure I'm best prepared for anything we might potentially encounter (vehicle-wise), so we're not stuck in the middle of nowhere with an issue. I guess it's worth noting that I always carry satellite communication as well.

flintknapper

SILVER Star
Your LSD (rear diff) is likely shot by now....or requires a lot of aggressive wheel spin to activate. You might consider installing a locker in the rear (Lokka full time or Harrop Selectable). THEN if find you need more traction....a selectable up front (later) to replace the somewhat weak 2 pinion diff there.

I think of sliders as insurance. They are likely cheaper than your deductible, and will protect you from lots of things besides rocks - Like if you get into a tight spot. No more door dings in a parking lot with them, either :).

Things to consider to not get stranded - Jump starter, immobilizer fix, shovel, high lift jack, cheap recovery boards. I'm all about affordability, so a Vair portable air compressor is on my list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom