Need help. Am I missing a bolt on one of the pulleys? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Planning on going out of town day after Xmas and driving about 800 miles.

Earlier today, I heard some squeaking that I have not heard before when driving the car. If you are standing in front of the car, it sounds like it is coming from the left-hand side. If sitting in the car, it is the passenger side. Maybe one of the pulleys?

Here are 2 videos of the sound: It gets a little louder when I accelerate.

Then I looked inside and noticed this- is one of the pulleys missing a bolt? Which pulley is that? It is on the left hand side when standing in front of the car. I have a 2005 100 series. Pics here:

IMG_0923.jpg

MgKU+Y0DQ0SIPznsnvn2EA.jpg

That is your power steering pump, and it looks normal/identical to mine. I'd take the belt off the tensioner and spin everything by hand to see what the noise is. Get the alternator wet recently (below it)? Check the PS fluid?

That is your power steering pump, and it looks normal/identical to mine. I'd take the belt off the tensioner and spin everything by hand to see what the noise is. Get the alternator wet recently (below it)? Check the PS fluid?

Is it missing a bolt or it’s supposed to look like that? All the other pulleys look like they have bolts on them. Ashamed to admit I am not as knowledgeable around a car like many people are on here.

Power Steering fluid is full.
Alternator? I did cross a river recently. It was only 7-10 inches deep but the water can come up higher when the car was moving.

Power steering pump looks normal to me - there is not supposed to be a bolt there. I'd guess something isn't happy with the water from the video, probably the alternator. But, it is just a guess.

Is it missing a bolt or it’s supposed to look like that? All the other pulleys look like they have bolts on them. Ashamed to admit I am not as knowledgeable around a car like many people are on here.

Power Steering fluid is full.
Alternator? I did cross a river recently. It was only 7-10 inches deep but the water can come up higher when the car was moving.
It’s supposed to look like that. The squeaking is probably a bearing. I’m guessing from your idler pulley, or the pulley with the bolt in your first picture. You can buy new pulley with bearing or easily press a new beating in keeping the pulley Oem. Find the bearing at Napa or Amazon.

actually it looks like tooling marks on that bolt so it may have been replaced before and may/may not be Oem.

It’s supposed to look like that. The squeaking is probably a bearing. I’m guessing from your idler pulley, or the pulley with the bolt in your first picture. You can buy new pulley with bearing or easily press a new beating in keeping the pulley Oem. Find the bearing at Napa or Amazon.

actually it looks like tooling marks on that bolt so it may have been replaced before and may/may not be Oem.

good eye. The serpentine belt was replaced before at 110,000 miles in 2014. I’m guessing the parts were replaced then, or maybe the belt only. Don’t know. Odometer reads 139,000 miles now.

And I’m glad its supposed to look like that- without the bolt. I was watching a video on YouTube but it was an LX-470 and it looked to have a bolt in it. I thought the Lexus and Toyota version had the same components.

There are three bolts that hold the ps pump on. If you face the pulley, the center of the pulley has cut outs that the wrench goes through to access the three bolts.

Mine is 2000 and the P/S pulley is held by a nut at the center.

Mine is 2000 and the P/S pulley is held by a nut at the center.

Early model pumps had a splined shaft and threaded 'nose' section that accepts a nut to hold the pulley in place. But the OP has a different set up.

PSP nut.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom