Need front diff fluid or just normal AWD “feel” (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not trying to come up with issues, but does anyone else have “drag” accelerating with a 4sp 1998-2002? I test drive a 2005 LX and don’t remember the “feeling” in the pedal accelerating that I’m getting in my 2001. Front diff is seaping fluid (not dropping in driveway) but no other grinding sounds present...I’m pretty sure I’d know it. Just wanted a sanity check with an AWD system since I keep discovering the lack of PM performed by the PO. Thanks!

4 speed vs 5 speed

I have a 98, and it's slow. That's just the nature of the 4 Speed. It doesn't hurt to change all your fluids if there's no current record of someone doing it. I've put my foot to the floor merging onto highways and only getting up to 40 or 50 before coming off the accelerator to get up to 65 (where I STAY).

Maybe it is the 4sp vs 5sp but it’s not sluggish and shifts great. I just “feel” the front DS turning more than in the LX. Maybe it’s grease time?!

I DD a 2000. I also have a 2006 that I drive a couple times a week. I think the same thing when I get back into the 2000. It feels slower, sluggish etc. The "06 steering is more refined, along with all the other obvious stuff, more HP, 5spd. Going from 2nd gear to 3rd seems to take awhile and definitely feels awkward after you drive the 5spd which shifts smooth as butter.

Can you check the fluid level? Not saying that's the issue but to see how long it's been leaking

OSTATECRUISER “definitely feels awkward after you drive the 5spd which shifts smooth as butter”- of course...That’s how my luck goes!

@bentonrover - I’m getting the tires balanced tomorrow and while it’s at the shop I’ll ask what they think. Will let you know.
Based on my (minimal) reading, I’m probably just feeling the age of the truck.

I'm not sure I completely understand the feeling you're describing, but there are a number of differences i feel between my son's 2000 LC and my 2006 LX.

2003+ added a number of changes that affect the "feel" of the vehicle ("drive by wire", VGRS, 5spd, etc).

OSTATECRUISER “definitely feels awkward after you drive the 5spd which shifts smooth as butter”- of course...That’s how my luck goes!

@bentonrover - I’m getting the tires balanced tomorrow and while it’s at the shop I’ll ask what they think. Will let you know.
Based on my (minimal) reading, I’m probably just feeling the age of the truck.

I'm sure. Good luck with everything

Just make sure the center diff lock is NOT engaged. Somewhat easy to accidentally hit the button with a knee. Driving on pavement with it engaged can feel weird/awkward and is bad for the drivetrain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom