Need electrical help: Harness upgrade, JW Speakers not working. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sschruff

Make PSILOCYBIN legal for TBI/PTSD/TRA&D
Threads
Put about 18 hours total this weekend in the FJ60 - mostly working through some personal stress and figured might as well be constructive.

Installed WiredWagon's headlight harness/aux fuse kit (amongst many other things) and doh. . .didn't check the headlight function until AFTER I put everything back together.

Long story short: double-checked all connection points, harnesses, etc., and everything was connected, grounded, and laid-out appropriately. This is what I found:

1. Stock headlights work on hi/low with stock harness.
2. Stock headlights work on hi/low with wired wagon's harness.
3. JW Speaker headlights don't work on either harness.

Then through spinning my non-electrical/mechanical brain, I found a thread on IH8MUD that highlighted something I saw during my inspection but didn't put 2+2 together until reading the thread. I think the connections on the JW's are different from the harnesses. What I mean is that the ground seems to be in a different location.

My question - if the prongs don't match between the harness and the light, how difficult is it to change the prongs in the light connector to match that of the harness? Is it something a novice should attempt or should I bring it to a professional shop?

Any tips, advice and/or prayers much appreciated.

Here are some pics:

Last edited:
You should contact @slcfj62 , Erik makes the harness for either a stock configuration or aftermarket. Stock, the wiring still uses the ground to complete the circuit, aftermarket, the harness re-configures the plugs to accept an H1/H4 connector. I believe these are traditional switched hot. I'll bet you just need to either move some wires around on either the relay block and/ or plug ends. I'd venture to bet that Erik could steer you in the right direction, perhaps with something as simple as a schematic. You might try searching slcfj62, I thought he posted schematics using either configuration

I think my situation is similar to yours, I recently installed an aftermarket headlight harness and after connecting it I found that it didn't work, I worked out the the 3 prong connector was setup differently to my headlights, so I pulled out the connectors, came out fairly easy on mine and swapped them around, blew a couple of headlight fuses but got it right in the end.

It might help you

:cheers: Spudman

You should contact @slcfj62 , Erik makes the harness for either a stock configuration or aftermarket. Stock, the wiring still uses the ground to complete the circuit, aftermarket, the harness re-configures the plugs to accept an H1/H4 connector. I believe these are traditional switched hot. I'll bet you just need to either move some wires around on either the relay block and/ or plug ends. I'd venture to bet that Erik could steer you in the right direction, perhaps with something as simple as a schematic. You might try searching slcfj62, I thought he posted schematics using either configuration

thank you - Erik has already diagnosed the problem; going to ship my harness out to him so he can work his magic. Excellent advice and much appreciated.

Shane

I think my situation is similar to yours, I recently installed an aftermarket headlight harness and after connecting it I found that it didn't work, I worked out the the 3 prong connector was setup differently to my headlights, so I pulled out the connectors, came out fairly easy on mine and swapped them around, blew a couple of headlight fuses but got it right in the end.

It might help you

:cheers: Spudman

Hey - I thought of doing the same thing but didn't have the, um. . .nerve to start messing with something I know nothing about, lol.

Glad it worked out for you and thanks for the input.

Shane

Ran into a similar problem in our 24v HJ60 last week when we switched to JW Speaker 8700 Evolutions. The HJ's switching from High to Low beam is on the negative whereas JW Speaker 8700s depend on switching on the positive. We added a relay per the attached diagram to resolve it, and all's fine. Our diagram shows that we stemmed off the new relay with another new relay to turn on the DRLs when the High beams are on, so you could just leave off that relay if you don't have DRLs or don't want them on when your lights are on.

Hope this helps someone else avoid hours of tracing old wiring diagrams to figure out that the issue is switching on the negative and could be a simple fix if you're prepared for it. The time it took me to get to the bottom of it, then to get the pieces, and then to start over on the installation was substantially more than I expected for "plug & play" connections.
20140417_190924.jpg
20140417_124434.jpg
20140417_192437.jpg
20140417_192459.jpg

Attachments

• LED Headlights & DRL.pdf
    308.6 KB · Views: 493

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom