Need an air compressor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I went with the twin ARB in the portable case with tank. It airs up my 35s from 18 to 32 psi on about a minute each. I have to pop the hood and connect the box to the battery but i bet that isn't much more time than others who have to pop the hood to connect their hose. I air up in about 7 minutes. From stopping and getting out to on the road again. And the portable arb can be used with any vehicle. It's also fantastic for other projects. I used it to run an air hammer to break up tile. I use it to run an impact when needed on the vehicle. It is better than my dewalt shop compressor. It's quieter, more CFM and 100% duty cycle.

Only down side to not mounting it in the vehicle is not running air lockers, but i don't have those yet and I'll run the (often) free air compressor with them when that day comes.
20200530_131041-01.jpeg
20200528_195408-01.jpeg

I really like this one: https://amzn.to/3v27aq5 it's a twin compressor with digital gauge and automatic cut-off when desired pressure is reached.

Also I met the Morrflate guys they said that your tire can only accept a certain amount of air through the valve, like only 2 CFM at low pressures. That's why the twin ARB and VIARs and all of them get super hot and burn up. So if you get a Morrflate kit then you can do 2 or 4 tires at once and it's much easier on your compressor and it will last longer and air up faster. MORRFlate Multi Tire Inflation Deflation™ Kits Archives • MORRFlate by My Off Road Radio - https://morrflate.com/product-category/morrflate-multi-tire-air-kits/
Would there be some combination of MORRflate and an onboard compressor that could achieve the auto-shutoff (on inflation) like your Blikzone or my DeWalt? Set desired pressure and walk away? Or for deflation (like four more accurate Stauns in one)? Surely this is a solved problem? The auto shutoff on this dewalt has saved my back on many bike tires.

The ARB portable compressors seem to be the way to go. I have the single and it takes a beating but still holding up. It was pricey but you get what you pay for as with most equipment.

Would there be some combination of MORRflate and an onboard compressor that could achieve the auto-shutoff (on inflation) like your Blikzone or my DeWalt? Set desired pressure and walk away? Or for deflation (like four more accurate Stauns in one)? Surely this is a solved problem? The auto shutoff on this dewalt has saved my back on many bike tires.
Good question. Morrflate say they are right on the verge of releasing their own compressor so I was going to wait and see what it was like.

I created one by plumbing a pressure regulator inline with my air hose. It also has a Guage and can fill 2 tires at once. Sounds great but it slows down when it gets near the set pressure so in practice it slows me down.

Look at the specs on a viair 440P it moves a lot of air quickly

I went with a Viair 400C and have been happy with it. I mounted it on the frame rail since I like to make things complicated. I had found this "recommended compressor locations" PDF that actually suggested this as a good spot so I went with it. I plan to make a guard for the front so the tire doesn't chuck anything damaging at it. Still need to do an actual write-up on the work this involved but here is a preview.

IMG_4157.jpg

IMG_4156.jpg

IMG_4153.jpg

Attachments

• SB-126.pdf
    59.5 KB · Views: 73
I've also got the larger of the smittybilt compressor. Took me about 40 minutes to air up my LC and buddies 4runner from 20ish psi to 45.

Ive been meaning/wanting to hard mount the compressor either in the engine bay... but am concerned about the heat from the engine bay. The latter is mounting to the frame as someone posted in here, but it cant be good for the compressor to submerge it, can it?

Last edited:
I've also got the larger of the smittybilt compressor. Took me about 40 minutes to air up my LC and buddies 4runner from 20ish psi to 45.

Ive been meaning/wanting to hard mount the compressor either in the engine bay... but am concerned about the heat from the engine bay. The latter is mounting to the frame as someone posted in here, but it cant be good for the compressor to submerge it, can it?
I think you might have been referring to me about mounting on the frame. The compressor I have mounted is a Viair 400C which has an IP67 (ingress protection) rating. This means that it is rated to be submerged in 1 meter of water for 30 minutes. I feel comfortable with the device location and it has already been submerged a few times and still works without issue. I think a frame mount location is fine as long as whatever device is installed is at least IP67 rated.

Last edited:
I think you might have been referring to me about mounting on the frame. The compressor I have mounted is a Viair 400C which has an IP67 (ingress protection) rating. This means that it is rated to be submerged in 1 meter of water for 30 minutes. I feel comfortable with the device location and it has already been submerged a few times and still works without issue. I think a frame mount location is fine as long as whatever device is installed is at least IP67 rated.
I guess I need to find out if the smittybilt is rated that as well unless someone in here happens to know.

This little guy is cheap and works like a champ. It's fast and well thought of by the 80 series crowd (I think 🤔). I've got one and no complaints. I believe it is the same unit as the Pep Boys MF50 mentioned above

SuperFlow MV50 Portable 30 Amp 12 Volt Direct Drive Electric Air Compressor SuperFlow MV50 Portable 30 Amp 12 Volt Direct Drive Electric Air Compressor - Google Search - https://g.co/kgs/X4VUKi

I may try one of these out soon. I trust what the 80 crowd says for the most part, (beer choices NO!) lol....

I have a Power Tank and swapped the regulator to just a straight 150psi brewery style. Love that thing but HATE the weight of it!

I can inflate my 285s from 18psi to 40psi in what seems like just a few minutes. I haven't ever timed it though. It's just heavy to keep with you.
It is fantastic for us on Ocracoke though because you air down for the entire week so I leave the tank in the rental house.

If your looking for some real test results of 9 different portable air compressors that are affordable, the YouTube Project Farm guy has done this in one of his videos.

None of those compressors are suitable for large tires and frequent usage.

I really like this one: https://amzn.to/3v27aq5 it's a twin compressor with digital gauge and automatic cut-off when desired pressure is reached.

Also I met the Morrflate guys they said that your tire can only accept a certain amount of air through the valve, like only 2 CFM at low pressures. That's why the twin ARB and VIARs and all of them get super hot and burn up. So if you get a Morrflate kit then you can do 2 or 4 tires at once and it's much easier on your compressor and it will last longer and air up faster. MORRFlate Multi Tire Inflation Deflation™ Kits Archives • MORRFlate by My Off Road Radio - https://morrflate.com/product-category/morrflate-multi-tire-air-kits/
I ordered the Blikzone after seeing this. It is quiet and pumped my tires from 15-30PSI in about 3 minutes. It didn't even get that hot. The display did fail, however, on tire number 2, and there is a slight leak at the fitting. Not much use without the display. I've asked for a replacement, hopefully they respond soon to make my trip next week.

If your looking for some real test results of 9 different portable air compressors that are affordable, the YouTube Project Farm guy has done this in one of his videos.

I would suggest not buying any of these options for deflating/inflating all 4 tires. Maybe as a last ditch option for a single flat. You would be sitting there all day to air up.

I really need to put in a plug for the Morrflate kit I just got based on your recommendation. It used to bug me to not be able to get the four tires the exact same when airing down with stauns. This kit is rad because they're all connected so they equalize (maybe adding a single staun to this kit would be the best of all). With the built in gauge on the "quad" airing down to a precise psi on all four is easy. Airing up is an outright breeze compared to the ways I was doing it before. The chucks can be put on and pulled with one hand. And everything else is done standing up. The only downside is the age-old garden hose problem: rolling back up and having to twist the hose while rolling it. Totally worth it. Side benefit: my compressor is under the hood. with all the fluorescent yellow tubing running to the tires kind passers-by automatically see what I'm doing and don't need to wonder if I need help with the hood up.

D5152996-DC93-4D59-BE93-1600BF35E2B6.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom