Need Advice on P/S Setup with A/C (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I currently have the following setup on my 40:
The block is a '79 2F that is pre-tapped for the P/S bracket
Alternator - currently located up on the pax side (stock location)
Smog pump - currently located low on the driver's side (stock location) The pump is removable if need be - as it is not in use.

I want to add a mini-truck gear box with a Saginaw P/S pump - but I want an option to add an A/C compressor in the future without having to rearrange everything again.

What is the simplest and cleanest way to set this up and do it right the first time, so when the time comes to add the a/c compressor I am already prepared? I was leaning towards Bill Dorry's brackets but figured since I have the block pre-tapped for P/S , there may be a better or easier way? I currently don't have the factory P/S bracket so I would have to buy one either way.

What are your thoughts?

If you are set on using a Toyota steering gear, why not just get the pump, bracket and hoses from a 60 series and run that?

Are you planning on installing the AC compressor low on the pass side where it would have been from Toyota? If so, get the AC stuff from another 60 series and mod the battery tray support to allow the AC compressor to be fitted over there...

You will need from the 60 series:

Right front engine mount and idler pulley and the crank pulley, as it is three-groove that will work with your current belt set up...and has the larger diameter narrow groove closest to the engine for driving the compressor....You will also need the alt bracket, iirc, as there are attachement points for the compressor tensioning system on the later alt bracket that are not on the earlier style....this is a bolt in swap.

Good luck!

-Steve

I guess I need to go take a peek inside a 60's engine bay at the local salvage yard to get a better idea of where everything should go and start getting my parts together. At this point I'm not dead set on using Toyota parts for the upgrade, however I do like the fact that most of them bolt in without the need for cutting/welding on the frame.
As always - thanks for the advice Steve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom