need a t-case for 78 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
T-case on my project 78 completely blew out on me a few days ago...I need a replacement.

Anybody here willing to tell me what year FJ40 T-cases will work? Model numbers or other field identifiable characteristics would also be very helpful.

Also, if anyone in the central MD/eastern WV panhandle region has a working T-case that would fit - please LMK. Some advice on salvage yards etc. in my region that are known to have some FJ40's would also be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for the help!

75-newer FJ40 cases should work, up until about 1980 or so. &nbsp:Don't believe the later split-type cases will.

Check the for sale section, usually a few in there...might wanna post this in the wanteds as well...

Trevor,

The T-case cut loose on the highway at about 70MPH. Everything was normal, then it started screeching and howling so loud I had to yell at the top of my lungs to tell my wife what was happening. We were right next to an exit so I immediately got off the highway so I could check it out. About halfway up the ramp the rear wheels started dragging and skipping, and then a couple seconds later BANG!..no more T-case.

The guts of the T-case are all toast. When I pulled off the road I could shift between all gears on the tranny. With the FJ idling, I could put it in any gear, let out the clutch, and I could hear the tranny turning, so I know it's not that. If it's in gear and someone hits the gas the drive shaft does not turn. When my buddy towed me back to the house the T-case sounded like a box full of rocks.

I've had several small leaks all over the place underneath the FJ since I bought it. Both diffs leak a tiny bit, and the t-case would leave a drop or two on the driveway every night. None of the leaks were severe enough to go to the trouble of fixing...I just made it a point to top all the gear oil off every month or so. I think the T-case leak must have gotten much worse over the past few weeks and I just didn't notice. I know I never saw an increas in the amount of gear oil dripping from the T-case onto the driveway, so I think that maybe it all blew out the last time I drove it.

I was due to top everything again this weekend when I changed the engine oil...guess I was a week too late.

I sure hope not, but you're right, it certainly could get very expensive.

I know the T-case is toast, so I'll replace that and then see what I've got. Hopefully nothing catastrophic happened to the tranny or the diff, driveshafts, UV joints etc. Shafts and universals look good, diff didn't seem to be making noise when I was being towed, so hopefully all is OK.

There's a rotted 77 up the road from me. I may see if I can pull that T-case for real chep, replace the fluid, and see what I get. It shouldn't cost me more than 50 bucks and a day of my time, so it may be worth it. I was hoping to just get one that I know is in working order, but in the absence of that I'll just take whatever I can get my hands on.

Is the guy down the road parting out the 77? I would be interested in the carb if it's an Aisin with all the emissions stuff on it (and cheap).

Trevor,

I'll be going up to look at the T-case and see if he'll part with it this weekend. I'll look at the carb too, and if it's decent and it's ok with the owner, I'll pull that too.

You're looking for an asian carb with all emissions stuff on it, for cheap. So I know we're on the same page when I go to yank the carb, what do you consider cheap?

I appreciate the help, but I've since got ahold of Jim Chenoweth and I'm going to get some parts from him, instead of an entire carb. Good luck with the transfer case.

I have a t-case from a 79 I bout the truck for the motor and trany my t-case was recently rebuilt so I kept it. the 79 t-case should be fine. If your interested make me an offer. If you need I may be able to get pics. I'm in the St. Louis MO area so I don't know what shipping would be.
scdr4d@umr.edu

i have a tranny and t-case i would like to sell it's out of an 80 i belive h42 with 4 speed case don't about the shipping from canada give an email about the price and we'll talk ok.. :beer: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom