Need a new heart - suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 83 60 wagon just blew the engine after 495,000 miles. I guess it doesn't owe me anything. Now I have heard a couple hundred options of what to put into it. Something with a power upgrade and more efficiency- yet mates well with my 4 sp tranny. It's my everything truck daily driver, fishing, hunting, work, family plus my wife and daughter do drive it from time to time. Any experiences of what works and what doesn't. And where's a good place to get/order engines from.

Ford V-10 or Dodge V-10 (maybe a Viper engine) Or a Cummins 6BT.

Dynosoar:zilla:

P.S. Manuchao has a fresh Jasper rebuilt engine for sale. As he is doing a 5.3 Vortec swap

Ford V-10 or Dodge V-10 (maybe a Viper engine) Or a Cummins 6BT.

Dynosoar:zilla:

P.S. Manuchao has a fresh Jasper rebuilt engine for sale. As he is doing a 5.3 Vortec swap

V-10 - that would be sick

I had a Dodge V-10, it sucked!! Blew after 60K miles. They have probably fixed the bad water jacket problem but makes me very gun shy. Also had a Ford V-10 with Banks headers cold air intake and SS exhaust....that rocked!!! Power and sound was unmatched for a gas engine in a 3/4 ton truck. I'll never forget when I first drove it, I didn't know that it had all the Banks gear on it. I stepped on it, it came to life and I pulled over to pop the hood to see what the hell was going on under there......Sorry for the rant.......ole times!!!

My 83 60 wagon just blew the engine after 495,000 miles. I guess it doesn't owe me anything. Now I have heard a couple hundred options of what to put into it. Something with a power upgrade and more efficiency- yet mates well with my 4 sp tranny. It's my everything truck daily driver, fishing, hunting, work, family plus my wife and daughter do drive it from time to time. Any experiences of what works and what doesn't. And where's a good place to get/order engines from.

I think you have 495,000 miles experience of what works.

A basic small block Chevy crate motor is cheaper than a good 2F rebuild, but then the adapters add up pretty quickly. If you go fuel injection you can get decent mileage & great power & driveability.

But the condition of the rest of the truck should dictate whether you go for a heart transplant or bury it & get another with the engine you want in better shape. That's usually more cost-effective than doing the swap yourself.

I recently rebuilt mine. If I were to do it again, I'd put a 4bt cummins or a diesel from a half cut at specter off-road. Poffitt does the diesel conversion. Good Luck

With the gas prices the way they are going, diesel is the only logical choice in my books. The engine cost won't be less than say a Chevy but the rising fuel costs will be worth it (assuming the rest of the truck is OK).

You can go with a Cummins 4BT or Toyota engine for good economy and minimal work or go for a Cummins 6BT and you'll be able to pull down houses with it!

Every diesel needs a turbo to really produce. If you get a naturally aspirated diesel plan on a turbo.

If money is not an issue, go with a diesel swap.

I'd say otherwise rebuild your 2f or find a core to rebuild. It's fun and not overly expensive.

Find a good 4BT cummins with the rotary fuel pump on it.

why rotary? The inline pumps are more rugged and handle bio or veggie better.

For a relatively low buck swap I really like the idea of a cummins 4BT. That's just from reading this forum and all the threads on diesel swaps. Not to mention you can pick those engines up pretty cheap and they are widely supported in North America.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom