wheel suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently picked up an 89 and the current wheel tire setup is not ideal. The current wheels has some rust and the tires are about a decade old so I really don't want to drive it anymore until I get I safe to drive around. I'm not looking for anything fancy as it just needs to be safe and looking to get something in stock specs so I know it will all work fine. From my quick googling I can tell I need 15 inch rim, 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern, 3.25" backspacing, and a center bore of 106mm but seen a few posts around that have some conflicting info

You could also go to a 16" wheel for more tire options. Personally, I'd seek out the stock chrome 15" wheels and except no substitutes. You could probably find FS in the appropriate MUD forum or online somewhere.

Yes ^^^
Find some good condition original FJ62 chrome wheels. They are around. Just takes some snooping

You could also go to a 16" wheel for more tire options. Personally, I'd seek out the stock chrome 15" wheels and except no substitutes. You could probably find FS in the appropriate MUD forum or online somewhere.
Yeah might get some 16s. just wanna make sure I get something that won't hit the tie rod ends, seems like that's the main concern from reading around.

Yes ^^^
Find some good condition original FJ62 chrome wheels. They are around. Just takes some snooping
yeah that would be ideal, but trying to be very budget friendly + getting is safely moving asap is a priority.

16x6 70 series wheels. $140ish from your local dealer

42601-60262-03

I run a 255/85r16 for a 33”

You can use a 235/85r16 for a 32”

IMG_4649.jpeg

IMG_4653.jpeg

IMG_4660.jpeg

Last edited:
I concur with going to 16" rims for better tire selection. 70 series rims are a great option if you want to keep it looking stock-ish as previously mentioned. Wheel vintiques has a few 16" options but I think may require spacers, and when I was wheel shopping earlier this year, they were backordered for months.

A wheel can have the correct backspacing and still not fit your truck very well. Backspacing is simply the distance from the mating surface of the hub to the inner tire mounting surface of the wheel. It says nothing about the width of the wheel nor its offset Offset is the difference between the center of the rim and the hub mating surface. All of these elements interact with and are affected by each other, which is why finding a wheel that fits well can be tricky.

The stock 15" wheel wheel is 6" wide, with offset of -15 (ET-15). The 70 series wheel is about the same width ( think) but has an offset of 0, so it sits inward about 3/4 of an inch (or 15mm to be precise) compared to the stock wheel. I run the 70 series wheel and I personally like the look with tall skinny tires. You could get a more stock look with some spacers. A wider tire such as the ones @HemiAlex is running also makes for more of a stock look.

front.jpg

A wheel can have the correct backspacing and still not fit your truck very well. Backspacing is simply the distance from the mating surface of the hub to the inner tire mounting surface of the wheel. It says nothing about the width of the wheel nor its offset Offset is the difference between the center of the rim and the hub mating surface. All of these elements interact with and are affected by each other, which is why finding a wheel that fits well can be tricky.

The stock 15" wheel wheel is 6" wide, with offset of -15 (ET-15). The 70 series wheel is about the same width ( think) but has an offset of 0, so it sits inward about 3/4 of an inch (or 15mm to be precise) compared to the stock wheel. I run the 70 series wheel and I personally like the look with tall skinny tires. You could get a more stock look with some spacers. A wider tire such as the ones @HemiAlex is running also makes for more of a stock look.

View attachment 3400533

I actually run mine with a 1.5" spacer all around.

From my quick googling I can tell I need 15 inch rim, 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern, 3.25" backspacing, and a center bore of 106mm but seen a few posts around that have some conflicting info
6 on 5.5.

Sounds like the 70 series wheel would fit what you’re looking for.

I'm ready to jump to the 16 wheel on my 60...This seems to be the most recent thread on the OEM 16 inch wheels....so, I wanted to hear folks' experience ordering them...

Today, a local dealer quote me at $260 per wheel...has the price changed?

Also, any issues getting damaged wheels? This dealer suggested they often get wheels damaged in transit and it would need to likely order multiples to get a clean set (not at my cost mind you, but it did sound like a headache)... Anyone else have similar issues?

Thanks,

Though they are 17", I went with TRD Taco rims and 275/70/R17 TKO's. They fit with no problems and there are a lot more tires out for 17" rims than 15" rims.

20210722_103315.jpg

I'm ready to jump to the 16 wheel on my 60...This seems to be the most recent thread on the OEM 16 inch wheels....so, I wanted to hear folks' experience ordering them...

Today, a local dealer quote me at $260 per wheel...has the price changed?

Also, any issues getting damaged wheels? This dealer suggested they often get wheels damaged in transit and it would need to likely order multiples to get a clean set (not at my cost mind you, but it did sound like a headache)... Anyone else have similar issues?

Thanks,

Post in thread 'What did you do with your 60 this weekend?'
What did you do with your 60 this weekend? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/what-did-you-do-with-your-60-this-weekend.791380/post-15138744

This was my experience earlier this summer, $260 / wheel seems too high to me for a steel wheel. Mine arrived with some scuffs, but nothing some touch up paint couldn’t fix. I don’t know how much of the damage happened between Toyota and the dealer, or between the dealer and me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom