Need a 12HT! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get a remanufactured 12HT? The one out of my HJ61 self destructed recently and I need a new motor! If not remanufactured at least rebuilt by someone who really knows Toyota Diesels? Ive been pondering everything from Isuzu diesels to the classic Vortec swap. But at the end of the day, I would really like a 12HT back in there.

Oh dear, what went wrong, is it not rebuildable.

There will soon be one up for sale in South Africa, but i doubt that helps you.

I have no idea if these guys are good. But they have a lot of engines. Maybe an Oz member can say something. I'd think money wise it would be best to import a full engine. Then look into rebuilding the one you have too as they are valuable especially in the states. But really depends what is wrong with yours first.

This NOS longblock may be available. All you'd need to do is swap on your accessories.

20170623_182623_resized.jpg

What happened to your engine?
Well... after a bunch of weird and even intermittent issues, it finally started blowing blue smoke out of the exhaust... I took the HJ down to a local diesel shop, they pulled the head after some bad compression readings on cyl 1 and 2, and oddly enough, some eroded head gasket material between 1 and 2 was stuck under the intake valve, so that the valve wouldnt seat properly this caused the piston to kiss the intake valve. I had them pull the oil pan out to drop that piston to inspect for damage, and they found a bunch of chunks of metal in the pan.

I had the shop stop working on it at this point so that I could start reviewing my options. I didnt want to throw any more money at them to figure out what broke loose...At this point, its going to be a full rebuild (if the block is still good) or its time to get a new motor. I still need to inspect the valves and valve cover... I am expecting at least one bent stem.

I have no idea if these guys are good. But they have a lot of engines. Maybe an Oz member can say something. I'd think money wise it would be best to import a full engine. Then look into rebuilding the one you have too as they are valuable especially in the states. But really depends what is wrong with yours first.

Steer clear of these guys, they have a poor track record.

And I’m guessing that unless there any more crates in northern Ireland that have sat unopened for 30 years, Roma’s new old stock 12HT long block may very well be the last of its kind.

Well, looks like I'm going the rebuild route. I started ripping into her yesterday. There is a few things that I have been wanting to take a look at for awhile, so I will use this opportunity to refurbish/ replace/rebuild a few things on the front of my HJ. I tore most of the front end off yesterday... It boggles my mind how many bolts hold the fenders on! How did the Japanese lose a war, with engineering like that?! 🤣

I meet with the machinist next week and will get the ball rolling on a rebuild then. Thanks for the advice guys 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom