Nav Interface Glitching (1 Viewer)

What should I do?

• Let it dry out

• Call the dealer and detailer

• I don’t see a problem

Results are only viewable after voting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had the 200 detailed after the Colorado trip this afternoon. After starting the vehicle this is what happened (video). Anyone seen this? I assume there is moisture in the buttons? Steering wheel controls still appear to work and the fact that the climate control is involved leads me to believe the bottom row of buttons are the culprit. Please let me know if you’ve seen this / have any idea how to clear this problem or should I just wait and hope it will dry out. Thanks in advance!

Well, just home from the Toyota dealership. Tech saw evidence of moisture damage and so do I. I snapped some pics to send to the Detailer and I’ve got my got my fingers crossed that he does the right thing and pays for the damage.

Just in case you’re wondering a brand new infotainment unit costs $4,065 and takes three days to come in from CA. Plus labor the estimate is $4,440.

I’m bummed because the detailer does a great job cleaning cars and it’s a small business but I sure don’t want to be on the hook for this one.

If he balks and tries to deny responsibility what do you think I should do? Make a car insurance claim and tell them to sue him or sue him myself?

235863C8-EE05-4CB4-BC15-E796AA196F2D.jpeg

6259152C-475B-4A34-A6DD-304BFF638484.jpeg

F369604E-8B4E-44C3-9151-C98E775988AD.jpeg

523EB2F6-C363-4990-A7E2-E3E52B3703D0.jpeg

The moisture droplets on the sides of the unit show up fairly well in the pics. If you notice though the brackets, or feet, that bolt the unit in show water marks where the feet look like they were very wet.

Here’s a gratuitous picture of the hole in the dash where the Nav unit belongs.

D8367E6F-7167-4215-AFC7-84E9BF4EC21E.jpeg

When my brother-in-law bought my truck (before I bought it off him) from the dealer, it had a weird problem with the climate control. The AC would not turn off no matter what we tried to do. It turned out that the dealer had the truck detailed and caused water damage on the rear climate control circuit board.

If you just let it dry out and it works ok, there is a possibility it will act up again when the Chicago weather goes super-humid. I hope the detailer has his own insurance to cover mistakes. If not, it will be a lesson learned for him. I doubt your insurance will touch the problem. It's likely the detailer used more than just water and the chemical could have corroded circuit boards and switches, another reason that just drying is risky. And, what I see in the photos is obvious; the detailer screwed up.

I tried to dry it in the sun with the windows rolled up the day after this happened, just parked it out there and let it heat up naturally. It was a hot day, I also disconnected the battery in an effort to reset... everything. Made no difference. The only thing that stops the malfunction is shutting the truck down. I just want it back the way it was. The Tesla style units look cool but I think it’s only fair that I be made whole before I consider an aftermarket system, also, I don’t really have a complaint with the stock set up. Best stereo I’ve ever had and it worked just peachy until Saturday.

Is this from a spray bottle?

I am not sure, I did see a pump sprayer out there, like the ones you use for weed control. I assume it had the exterior cleaning chemicals in it. This company uses a minimal water wash system. Is it possible that he used the pump sprayer inside the cabin? I suppose, my truck was dusty from the CO trip so maybe he went with the nuclear cleaning option and got the electronics or let it soak too long? I did see squirts of liquid all over the inside at one point but I don’t know what he used to spray it.

Like you said though, it’s a drag.

No update yet, I texted photos and quote to the business owner... no response yet. The ball is in his court as they say. I’m rooting for him to do the right thing. I’ll keep you posted.

Is it the deatailers fault that your land cruiser can’t handle the same process he does all day everyday? I think it’s more your fault than his, you should have warned him that your cruiser needs dry cleaning.

Not trying to be harsh, but get real, how is the feable build quality and the outrageous replacement cost his fault?

It would be like going to a gas station, putting the gas nozzle into your tank, your tank bursting and then you expecting the gas station to fix it.

Not really. This is why you're supposed to spray the towel and not the dash. This would happen to just about any vehicle irreguardless of the make or model if you blast the dash with liquid. Seems this was caused by neglect of the detailer, not a freak accident or design flaw in the vehicle.

That said, the detailer's insurance should cover it. Otherwise it's time to lawyer up assuming you can prove they caused the damage.

Detailer responded:

“So sorry again that this happened! Of course we will take care of it!”

Solid dude, just as I suspected. I guess he doesn’t think it’s more my fault than his...

Not trying to be harsh, but get real, how is the feable build quality and the outrageous replacement cost his fault?

Wow, that's a lot of money. I had my head unit replaced because the defroster wasn't working. Fortunately, mine was still under warranty.

Sounds like your detailer has good insurance.

You’re right, you asked him to clean your car, during he supposedly spayed a bit of water on your dash, now he owes you $4k. Sounds reasonble.

It’s probably > a months wages for him. All good.

You got me man, I ruined the nav system myself and found a "little guy" to screw over. It's what I do for fun when I am not kicking puppies and setting $100 bills on fire to light my cigars.

Or... could it be possible that $4K is > than a months wages for me?

On ih8armourall.com he’s telling his side of the story to all the other detailing enthusiasts, the LC is going to get black balled

Hahaha if that's my future where I have to dust my own dashboard for the rest of my life I don't want to go on living! Now where did I leave my cigars?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom