Natural Disaster escape pod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone ever had to rely on the 100 during a natural disaster as an escape pod. Fire, Flood, Hurricane, Avalanche, Ice, Blizzard, Earthquake, Snow, Tornado, Bomb Cyclone, Volcano, Sand Storm, Lava , Typhoon, Tsunami, Willy-Willy, Tropical Cyclone, Lightning, Electrical storm, Thunderstorm

Last edited:
To be honest, this is one of the reasons I own and daily drive my 100. Slowly equipping it to be the get out of dodge/apocalypse vehicle! Throw the family and our bug out bags into the truck and head for the hills! LOL

To be honest, this is one of the reasons I own and daily drive my 100. Slowly equipping it to be the get out of dodge/apocalypse vehicle! Throw the family and our bug out bags into the truck and head for the hills! LOL

This. Y'all thought I bought an ARB to protect the truck during trail rides? Pffft. It's for pushing people out of the way when it hits the fan.

Haven't yet, but it's one of the safer places I'd head to if weather turns bad. I keep water in it, prob should add a few more small things.

After Hurricane Harvey flooded my neighborhood and I couldn’t drive out I re-evaluated my vehicle choices. I had a sedan and a diesel dually. I now have a 100 series and a 200 series. I haven’t put a snorkel on my 100 yet but I will before the next hurricane comes. The biggest threat here in Houston is flooding so once I am fully prepared for that I will continue customizing the vehicles for the next likely scenario and so on. Both are definitely escape pods for me and my family. My parents and brother don’t have the same mindset, all have sedans. I ended up with land cruisers (both actually LX’s) so I would have room for them if necessary.

If there is not a thread already out there dedicated to this topic it would be cool to start one.

I'm in the same boat (ahem) as SF1911A1. Started looking for an 80 / 100 right after Hurricane Harvey, and finally found the right 100 a year ago. The streets in my neighborhood back up very quickly after heavy rains to the point where cars can't make it in or out. For now though, I'm just relying on the HIGH adjustment on my LX470. I hope I never need a snorkel. I also live very close to a railroad track and constantly imagine driving out of town on the railroad easement in the event the roads become impassible.

The Tundra and it's owner did well at our last major wildfire. I wonder if it had been a 1999 Land Cruiser, would Toyota have replaced it with a 2019 Land Cruiser?

I live in Wi and we hate our cars (why else would we have those car breaking, pot hole ridden strips of tarmac?) After having broken 2 (two) rear springs on my 530xi this winter, I find my LX with 33" tires barely up to the task of getting around.

When the road situation gets too depressing here, I visit a friend in Detroit Metro and laugh out loud at their misfortune and come back happy to our disastrous roads! A slightly lifted 100 series is what you need to survive here.

This video below scared me in the woosley fire in california in 2018 where someone is feeling fire and I'm just praying she made it through... sooo scary!

Can our car work through smoke? is our air filters/insulation capable of reducing how much CO comes into cabin? Those teslas supposedly can survive a nuclear attack due to how well the cabin is protected... i hope ours can as well...

I live in north Florida. I've used my winch to pull trees out of the way and get cars out of ditches, haven't actually had to use it in offroad applications, haha.

We just wrapped up building a camper (build thread), so the 100/camper combo will be our natural disaster kit. We have a tax-free weekend at the beginning of hurricane season, I plan on taking advantage of that and loading up the camper with non-perishables and clothes and such, keep gas cans filled and ready to hit the road.

I don't want to sit through another hurricane Michael (or Irma or TS Hermine), let alone something stronger. We were fine, the house was mostly fine, but the stress and worry every time we heard a huge pine snap like a twig wasn't worth "riding it out".

Last edited:
I do have thousands of rounds of 5.56 hanging around though so maybe I’ll just make a dead zone and put a pedestal mount on my sunroof and pretend I’m back in the Army and patrol my neighborhood.

Never thought of it as an escape pod, but I'm glad I drive it. Allows for a lot of flexibility in a sticky situation. For anyone who uses as a DD, I highly recommend keeping some gear to keep you safe and get you where you need to go at all times.

I live in Wi and we hate our cars (why else would we have those car breaking, pot hole ridden strips of tarmac?) After having broken 2 (two) rear springs on my 530xi this winter, I find my LX with 33" tires barely up to the task of getting around.

When the road situation gets too depressing here, I visit a friend in Detroit Metro and laugh out loud at their misfortune and come back happy to our disastrous roads! A slightly lifted 100 series is what you need to survive here.
I agree. Same situation in northern IL as I’m sure you know. The roads are completely destroyed after this nasty winter we had.

I agree. Same situation in northern IL as I’m sure you know. The roads are completely destroyed after this nasty winter we had.

I hope you guys ain't running E rated tired at 40+psi.. I'd pull my hair out.

After Hurricane Harvey flooded my neighborhood and I couldn’t drive out I re-evaluated my vehicle choices. I had a sedan and a diesel dually. I now have a 100 series and a 200 series. I haven’t put a snorkel on my 100 yet but I will before the next hurricane comes. The biggest threat here in Houston is flooding so once I am fully prepared for that I will continue customizing the vehicles for the next likely scenario and so on. Both are definitely escape pods for me and my family. My parents and brother don’t have the same mindset, all have sedans. I ended up with land cruisers (both actually LX’s) so I would have room for them if necessary.

If there is not a thread already out there dedicated to this topic it would be cool to start one.
I'm in the same boat (ahem) as SF1911A1. Started looking for an 80 / 100 right after Hurricane Harvey, and finally found the right 100 a year ago. The streets in my neighborhood back up very quickly after heavy rains to the point where cars can't make it in or out. For now though, I'm just relying on the HIGH adjustment on my LX470. I hope I never need a snorkel. I also live very close to a railroad track and constantly imagine driving out of town on the railroad easement in the event the roads become impassible.

I had two 100 series in the driveway during "Harvey", and I was looking at government auctions, for a deal on a Stewart Stevenson M1078.

I had two 100 series in the driveway during "Harvey", and I was looking at government auctions, for a deal on a Stewart Stevenson M1078.

Man, if I had a place to park a duece and a half I would have one already for sure. My buddy had one for a couple years and it was awesome. They aren’t even all that expensive.

I hope you guys ain't running E rated tired at 40+psi.. I'd pull my hair out.
My tires are definitely E-rated and I run 36 PSI and I can count every little crack in the road :(

I don't want to sit through another hurricane Michael (or Irma or TS Hermine), let alone something stronger. We were fine, the house was mostly fine, but the stress and worry every time we heard a huge pine snap like a twig wasn't worth "riding it out".

After the stress of our Rita evacuation (18 hours of stop & go very slowly, for a trip that usually takes 2.5 hours) insanity, and the stress of potentially riding a hurricane out on the road (or out of gas on the side of the road), I feel the exact opposite.

After Rita, I did my best to “harden” my house, and it would take an exceptional storm to make me evacuate. Rode out Ike & Harvey just fine, but I’m far enough from the coast that storm surge is very unlikely.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom