National Luna (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gun Runner 5

ODD IRON OFF ROAD
SILVER Star
Threads
Anyone running a National Luna battery system in their 70 Series? The system was installed by the previous owner and appears to function properly but I don't have any type of operators manual and am relegated to YouTube videos.
Thanks
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Have you asked National Luna? Surely they could email you something. Or try the free downloads on their home site.

My link is not working.
Rosco, Thanks for the link. I think I have a fair grasp of how the unit works and mine appears to be working correctly. Based on the videos I've watched it appears the "logic" separates and protects the cranking battery if the aux battery drops below 12.7 volts. In my case, I guess I'm more curious to see if other folks have had any issues with their systems that I should be aware of. I've ordered a RedArc dual battery gauge to better monitor the batteries.

I dont have any specific experience with National Luna, but they have a good name here. Somewhere like the Exploroz site are good places for first hand feedback

Ive ran mine in a rig for over 8 years with no issues, if its already installed I wouldn't switch it out, with that said its old tech, RedArc makes a more advanced product that provides more features like amp monitoring.

Ive ran mine in a rig for over 8 years with no issues, if its already installed I wouldn't switch it out, with that said its old tech, RedArc makes a more advanced product that provides more features like amp monitoring.
It seems to function as intended so it will stay with the truck. I am however replacing the "Christmas tree" with the RedArc dual battery gauge.

image.jpeg

I've got a NL portable power pack with a 600w inverter and have had zero issues running a fridge + charging cameras + running a small fan off it. Really painless and useful.

I have had them in various trucks for many years.They are old school reliable and function as intended.When doing short distance stop/start game drives eg from waterhole to waterhole, the way the system is programmed to only start charging the aux batt after 4 min since last start, is not ideal and can lead to the aux batt not being fully replenished but for the rest it is a solid system.I threw mine out of the Troopy, as I wanted a good Solar compatible system.
The xmass lights should at best be regarded as a vague indicator only ...

I have had them in various trucks for many years.They are old school reliable and function as intended.When doing short distance stop/start game drives eg from waterhole to waterhole, the way the system is programmed to only start charging the aux batt after 4 min since last start, is not ideal and can lead to the aux batt not being fully replenished but for the rest it is a solid system.I threw mine out of the Troopy, as I wanted a good Solar compatible system.
The xmass lights should at best be regarded as a vague indicator only ...
The ability to override the 5 minute delay would have been a preferable option. The Christmas tree lights are visible in the cab and I tell everyone that it's a state-of-the-art anti-theft system. :)

You can override the delay with the handheld pictured.

Cheers
I'm aware of the feature that allows you to forcibly tie the batteries together but not separate them. I'm under the impression the "disconnect" feature is automatic and can't be overridden.

I have the National Luna system on two vehicles, an FJ40 and an HZJ75 Troopy. Both have been faultless; the one on the 40 has been in place for over ten years. The controller is pretty self-explanatory; the lower right button, if held for three seconds, ties the batteries together for winching or if the main starting battery is failing. The system has about a five-minute delay when you first start the engine, to allow the starting battery a full recharge, then it connects the auxiliary.

That same button you push to force them to connect, also disconnects if pushed when the batteries are connected, so the override works both ways.

That same button you push to force them to connect, also disconnects if pushed when the batteries are connected, so the override works both ways.
Nice to know .... Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom