Name that sound! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK - Let me try and explain this. When I am in my 74 FJ40 cruiser and taking a RIGHT turn while coasting (eg clutch depressed) I get a slight metallic "click click click" from the front RIGHT side / wheel area. It only happens when there is not tension / torque on the right side. It clicks three ot four times and not again. I do not see anything hanging and cannot get it to rattle when I monkey with it while parked. No leaks or strange steering. Any ideas on what it could be? I am leaning towards and axle or CV but not sure how to diagnose this. Any other things it might be? How complicated / expensive are repairs? Can I regular non-joe-mechanic like me sort it out? Thanks again.

Matt:
What year/series Cruiser do you have? Only makes noise when turning right?

I have an 87 FJ 60 that will make a type of "clicking" noise sometimes that IS the brake pads moving around and contacting the rotor. If your pads do not have the anti-rattle springs (as mine do not) that are located on top of pads and help position them, then this may very well be your problem. The spring keeps the pad off the rotors when not in use and keeps the rattles or clicks from occurring. This is perhaps a best case scenrio.

Otherwise, I would definately check out the birfields. Have thay been serviced?? If not read up on this topic here and in the Technical links section of this site and plan on getting dirty.

It is hard for me to give you more advice not knowing the specifics of your LC. I hope this helps
Bo

There are a few things I would check:

Wheel bearings
locking hub
knuckle bearings
birfield
shackle/spring bushings

[quote author=ranger link=board=1;threadid=7109;start=msg58879#msg58879 date=1067972381]
Might help if you named the vehicle, model and year.....
[/quote]

I suggest Shirley if it's a girl cruiser, and maybe Lloyd if it's a boy...

[quote author=Gumby link=board=1;threadid=7109;start=msg58959#msg58959 date=1067984616]
Shirley? You must be joking. :D
[/quote]

I'm not joking, and don't call me Shirley!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom