nagging things to fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bout a 2006 lx470 in June and initially spent my time working on a fuel issue, but now my focus has turned to fixing a few annoying things.

First is the plastic homelink/sunglasses holder is scratched. I have done some searching on MUD but couldn't seem to find a good source for replacement. Is this something I should order from cdan?

Second is on the rear tailight/license plate trim. Seems the PO broke on of the clips holding the trim piece in and on the upper right side it is loose. Are there replacement clips or do I need to order the license plate trim and remove the tail light section to replace on the new bracket?

Third is the drivers door trim moulding is loose and rattles every time I close the dorr. I understand from other posts that there are probably some clips that are not installed correctly. I'm looking for guidance for the clips to purchase so I can have them on hand for quick removal and replacement.

All guidance/information is greatly appreciated.
homelinksmall.jpg
tail lighta.jpg

Call CDan with all three of your questions! And ask for the mud discount...

Last edited:
Second is on the rear tailight/license plate trim. Seems the PO broke on of the clips holding the trim piece in and on the upper right side it is loose. Are there replacement clips or do I need to order the license plate trim and remove the tail light section to replace on the new bracket?

I have the same problem with mine. I know this is a few years old, but any updates on how you resolved this second issue?

License plate trim loose: Broken clips difficult if not impossible to repair. Buy some 1” wide 3M VHB double sided foam tape and about 48” of 1” x 1/16” aluminum stock. Remove trim, clean gate panel, scuff backside of trim. Mark flat areas and tape aluminum strips (they serve as spacers) to gate panel... I used 4 vertical strips. Add another layer of tape to aluminum strips and carefully bond license trim into gate panel, using remaining clips to align trim. Press firmly to wet-out tape and never worry about it again.

For the overhead console scratches, you can try a hot air torch (NOT an open flame) to hide the scratches. Just a bit of heat can remove the ridges of the scratch and remove any whitening, helping to make it less visible. Worth a shot if you’re planning to replace anyway.

License plate trim loose: Broken clips difficult if not impossible to repair. Buy some 1” wide 3M VHB double sided foam tape and about 48” of 1” x 1/16” aluminum stock. Remove trim, clean gate panel, scuff backside of trim. Mark flat areas and tape aluminum strips (they serve as spacers) to gate panel... I used 4 vertical strips. Add another layer of tape to aluminum strips and carefully bond license trim into gate panel, using remaining clips to align trim. Press firmly to wet-out tape and never worry about it again.
Thank you @vishmuzty i will try this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom