N00b sauce (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Another lurker making first appearance. I'm the second owner of an '85 FJ60 LC with about 166XXX on the clock. So far, the only thing i've really changed or replaced (besides, fluids) is exhaust with 2.5" pipe and new magnaflow muffler and CAT. I've got rust in teh usual places it seems, rear wheel wells, bottom tailgate and a few spots here and there. All in all, i love it! I've made it my DD since purchase back in December. Anyhow, the next thing i'm wanting to do is yank off the factory luggage rack and fill in teh holes. But, i'm not sure what would be the most effective (i.e. no leaks/rust probs) way to go about this. Any tips/techniques from some seasoned vets would be much obliged.

Thanks for looking and cheers!
Steveo

(oh, can i do this yet? :flipoff2:)
cruiser_sunset_resize.jpg

welcome to the forum!! and we didnt even have to ask to see a picture of your rig! and looks like you already know the cruiser salute!
:flipoff2: back at ya!, whats next, are you gonna tell us you read the FAQ and then use the search function for any obvious questions.

Finally,its working (devilish laugh).

well, i did use the search function, however, i got a few different answers such as just welding in the holes or using some marine grade caulking and some SS hardware. I was just wanting to know what would work best. oh, and i don't know how to weld. :doh:

did i just answer my own question?

thanks.

well, i did use the search function, however, i got a few different answers such as just welding in the holes or using some marine grade caulking and some SS hardware. I was just wanting to know what would work best. oh, and i don't know how to weld. :doh:

Did you search 80's tech? They do this all of the time, some have Rhino lined the roof after plugging the holes.....Try to spend some time in the other tech forums in addition to 60's tech, alot of this stuff can be applied to our rigs. :cheers:

Silicone contains acid which causes rust (unless we're talking aquarium silicone).

I used auto glass urethane & plastic plugs. Don't like the way it looks, but I'm pretty sure it won't leak.

I have soldered them up in the past, with a BIG gas iron, like what plumbers used to use.

Carefully remove the paint, solder up the holes, file it flat and use touch up paint. Wouldn't know you ever had a rack

Paul

Another idea is to tell people where you are and ask for help. There might be somebody down the street with a welder that is willing to help out a fellow cruiserhead

bolts and calk works and is easiest.

Welcome to the addiction.

Oh yeah, I'm located in Layton, UT just outside of SLC. I think i'm gonna go the SS hardware/Caulking route, specifically Tinker's idea.
( "I used auto glass urethane & plastic plugs.")

Ehh, well i would leave it on but, i just don't think it looks right with all the chrome. Besides, i have a Yakima system already.

Thanks for all the help!

Steveo.

(oh, i'm definitely novice when it comes to mechanics but, if anyone needs help in the valley area, lemme know. I'll help/learn)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom