mystery noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My 83...Fan clutch would engage (for about a minute) about every ten minutes at steady higway speeds, mostly 70mph...

I ran my '84 without the thermostat for a while and on the freeway the rad fan would come on every time I went up a hill, even a slight one. The hot water constantly running through the rad would make the fan come on. Putting in a stat stopped it. Now on the freeway it only comes on if the outside temp is over about 85-90.

Maybe your thermostat is stuck open.

karlec said:
I ran my '84 without the thermostat for a while and on the freeway the rad fan would come on every time I went up a hill, even a slight one. The hot water constantly running through the rad would make the fan come on. Putting in a stat stopped it. Now on the freeway it only comes on if the outside temp is over about 85-90.

Maybe your thermostat is stuck open.
you know the same exact thnig happened to me

clutch fail

60wag said:
I still think is the fan spinning up and free wheeling. Mine does that on the highway. I think its normal. When the clutch fails, it free wheels all the time doesn't it?

I've read on this board where fan clutches have gone bad and locked up rather than cut loose, as in free wheel.

Lots of old post on clutch fans.

by-the-way Mine kicks in at highway speeds in the summer when I pull a long grade. Feels like the a/c compressor cutting in, (well not quite but you can feel and hear it).

A 1987 fj60 I had in Texas really was noticable when it kicked in, and down there it was hot from march through November the fan roared most of the time....

HD

Anyone have anymore info on this? My 60 has started to make this same exact noise and I'm pretty sure that it's the fan clutch although I just replaced it with oem one a couple months ago. could it be the fluid in it? any more suggestions?

All

My 62 does the same thing, and I recently rebuilt the engine. I literally replaced everything with Toy parts (even new Toy hose clamps). I replaced the h20 pump and fan clutch assy...

Makes the same noise, at higher speeds, sometimes kicks in, then stops. I assume it is the fan clutch. It may be the big blower, but I haven't investigated, nor am I overly concerned.

And if I remember right it did that before the rebuild as well....

Jack

I was searching for this thread becuase I just got back from a 1000 mile round trip from SF to Joshua Tree in some pretty serious daytime temperatures (95-100+) and I started to hear this "fan noise" very frequently. I would get it on most of the long uphill grades or if I was running on the flats at freeway speed with the AC on and a substantial headwind. I couldn't see a correlation between my engine temp gauge (stock) and when the noise would start... but it didn't seem to impact performance in any way and did result in the temp needle going down sometimes.

just another data point...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom