Mysterious Part... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like many previous owners of FJ-40's, the PO of my 76 FJ-40 neglected most maintenence. In my constant effort to play catchup from this neglect I have run acrossed a bizzare hose. While I haven't had time to fully check it out, I will discribe what I've seen:

This hose is approximately 3/4" in diameter, black rubber, and enters the cab from above the driver's feet. There appears to be some sort of metal pan that this tube comes from located behind the radio slot, above and behind the heating unit, slightly to the drivers side. It is visible when looking up from the pedals to behind the dash board. Currently, the tube terminates (by having been rotted out) just above the carpet line, and is free hanging. I don't know where this tube is supposed to connect, or what the heck it is for.

Anyone know?

yeppers...it's the drain tube for the cowl air vent. Pour water on the center of the hood, just ahead of the windshield...if yer feet get wet, it's time to replace this hose ;)

The hose should route back through the fire wall to drain out of the cab. You may be cogged or have a hole in the tube. Kind of a PITA to fix but not much money. JL

76 had a cowl vent?

Yep, but my conclusion from my earlier study showed that more times than not post 73 model cruisers had non-functional from the factory cowl vents. (I.e, they are there but you can't open them.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom