Mysterious ground - revisited (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Keep

GOLD Star
Threads
A few months back I came across the frayed wire in the pic below. I didn't post a pic, but based on my description the consensus was that it was something installed aftermarket and since removed. Looking more closely at the bolt it certainly looks factory to me. Its located behind the left side cargo area panel. Any ideas?
ground.jpg

K -

My '97 has that same "U" bracket with a weldnut on it, but there is no bolt / nor wire attached to it. Looks like aftermarket = 1, factory = 0 from here.

R -

Did you ever have a pre-historic cell phone installed in your console? Mine did, and I have a similar black wire in the d-s rear quarter there that runs up into the headliner and thence to an antennae mount installed through the back window.

Ah, same bolt, no wire. It most likely is aftermarket then. No cell that I know of, but I'm the 2nd owner... so who knows.

Keep,

To clarify - DS or PS?  Looks like DS as that looks like the gas intake in the pic. I'm an original owner and know everything that's been done and in now.  I'll check this evening on what I see in my beast and let you know.

DS

My wife's '97 had a broken ground wire to the rear hatch, I studied the wiring diagram carefully for grounds in that area - there are none. The ground for the rear hatch passes through that compartment to under the shift console. The grounds I found had large, thick, angular ring connectors crimped to the wire, not ordinary looking ones like that. Cars use minimal common grounds for several reasons, I'm pretty sure that's not factory, but possibly dealer?

I remember it as "If the minimums weren't good enough, they wouldn't be the minimums." Also, "If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying."

Scott
Reese AFB class 91-01/03 (100% on every test)

Doesn't look factory to me - looks like a simple crimp connector and isn't it the wrong color wire for a Toyota ground? My 'box' for trailer lights is in that compartment, maybe it's a trailer ground?

Cheers, Hugh :beer:

Keep,

Took a look this weekend while rerouting the brake wire for my trailer electrical plug thru the rubber grommets inside the DS. Installer didn't get inside the truck and had the wire sticking out of the brake light exposed when the tailgate was down.

That terminal in your pic. has nothing attached to it on my beast. Must be aftermarket install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom