my vacation project cooler and gas carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lemoore, CA (south of Fresno) / Cortes Island, B.C
I fabricated a mount for my spare tire inside my fj40 since a 33-35 inch tire blocks too much of my vision. So I grabbed some 1 inch square stock from a junk pile at work and off I went. the carrier uses the stock tire carrier and a leg on the driver's side to help support the weight. what do you guys think?
jtw7rd.jpg

jtw7yr.jpg

Last edited:
looks great but...

I am looking into doing the same thing, but does that cooler mount really block less than the spare tire? that looks like alot of blockage. Jay in NY

mtnbike28 said:
I am looking into doing the same thing, but does that cooler mount really block less than the spare tire? that looks like alot of blockage. Jay in NY

It does, but I do not have to drive around everyday with a cooler. If I want a cooler, I can put one on there. But I also have it far enough on the driver's side that I can see out of the pass. side rear window really well. With the mirror on the driver's side door, my blind spots are a lot less than if the tire was there.

Great setup man, really looks stout.

sweet set up. Can you take some pics with it opened up please?

Where are you gonna put your spare at now?

yeah i'd like to see where the spare is would love a nice cooler rack like that but where to put a 37" tire kills me, so where is it? roof?

nice clean job though, clean, clean, clean

sorry hawk see it now, i was searching since he said 35 but my fuel cell would have a fight with that tire placement. Damn clean and nice job very well thought out. Hoped it would work for my application but hawk killed it for me :crybaby:

iam_turner said:
I definitly likes the jack!
that's a wickid project man. What'd you use for the tire mount on the inside?

To mount the spare inside, I used the factory tire carrier piece left over (the part that can be unbolted from the flat surface on the swing-away part if that makes sense). I then used two 1" square stock pieces welded to the roll bars horizontally. They were spaced apart with the top one the same height as the top hole on the carrier and the bottom one lining up with the bottom hole. Then I simply welded 2 vertical bars (2 1" square stock together) vertically along the bolt holes from the carrier. This spaced out the new carrier far enough to work with my back spacing, Sorry my digital camera is on a trip with a buddy now so here is the best I can do.

jr5z12.jpg

The carrier is welded onto the two vertical bars. I measured with the existing 33 for clearance with an addition 2" of clearance for a 35. Plenty of room and is solid as a rock.

hope that helped.

CruisinTiger said:
sweet set up. Can you take some pics with it opened up please?

Where are you gonna put your spare at now?

Sorry about that. My camera is gone. Anyway, it just swings open with the stock carrier. If anyone wants the measurements, I could probably draw something up for you and copy it if you want.

Awesome rack. I have been looking at trying to fab one myself. Didn't even think about using the spare tire mounts. I may look at mounting my spare on the roof someway or work around the tire in the back. I have three kids that ride in the back and don't have room for the spare back there. With all the tools and stuff I carry under the back seat, space for an ice chest is limited at best. Again, great looking rack, thanks for posting. You got my pea brain rolling again.

Mine sits flush with the fender (close to). It is a good place to mount it. It all depends on what type of seating you are using. I am just going to put a bucket seat out of civic when I find a match to my fronts on the opposite side so I stiil have storage space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom