My Only Key Broke...Advice? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The key was dropped on the floor and the thin metal tip broke off. The key wouldn't turn in the ignition and I thought someone could make a duplicate, but the one the place made didn't work.

Anyone know the best step to take next?

Yes, I know it was stupid not to get a second key made. :facepalm:

Assuming that it’s a master key (with remote), a dealer can provide a key “code” from the VIN, then you can have a key “cut by code” and move the “electronic guts” to the new key. The dealer will usually require some form of “proof of ownership” before they will provide this information.

(I’ve adopted the “never have less than two master keys for these vehicles” approach. It seems to make life less expensive, and less complicated.)

Go to a dealer. They can usually cut a new key by VIN. No need for the old key.

Get yourself one of these while you're at it... ;)

I drove all of Los Angeles over a couple days trying to find a place to cut a key. One place tried to make a copy and failed - a wasted $35. Next day I got the code from Lexus Beverly Hills, but neither them nor Lexus Santa Monica had the housing in stock. I found a couple places that had the housing in stock and could cut it from the code I got from the dealer - only the place I had do it had their machine break in the process. Both of those places charged $75, which I felt was excessive.

I gave up and resorted to eBay and found keyz4less who is located in L.A. and was $30 shipped. They were able to ship it the same day and I got it the next. Also ordered a spare from 1010keys with the 4C chip.

What I learned was don't try to get a key made in person and just order on eBay.

Last edited:
Go to a dealer. They can usually cut a new key by VIN. No need for the old key.

Get yourself one of these while you're at it... ;)

Wanted to make sure it's the Verified Threaded Key Blank I need to get along with it (mine is the Long Blade).

Wanted to make sure it's the Verified Threaded Key Blank I need to get along with it (mine is the Long Blade).

Yup, that's it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom